Drobo or other NAS devices-retail?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Drobos are for the non-technical user. It is something your grandmother could store data on.

Quote Originally Posted by droboPro:
    Correct! drobo is a DAS not a NAS. That explains Data Robotics, Inc. has a product called DroboShare which converts max 2 drobo units into a NAS via 1 Gig Ethernet w/ the capability to run bunch of 3rd-party developed apps on the droboShare unit. IMO, that's one of the product limitations. The bigger box, 8-bay unit called droboPro, w/ the 1Gig iSCSI interface, is still not a NAS cuz the embebbed Linux inside lacks native LDAP, RADIUS & CHAP support and relies on a host whether it's Windows, MacOS such as Snow Leopard, Linux/Unix, and most popular hypervisor to provide the host services. For ur & everybody's info, the 4-bay is selling for HK$5,000 & 8-bay is HK$15,000.
    DataRobotics have come out with the new DroboPro FS and Drobo FS which is a NAS.
    Do you have any idea how much it costs in HK and where I can get them ?
    Thanks.

Wanchai Computer market, Wanchai
    Golden Computer market, Sham Shui Po

Seen Drobos at both, but you pay a premium vs. the cost of it in the USA. If you have connections back in the US you could look at someone shipping it over to you.

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    Wanchai Computer market, Wanchai
    Golden Computer market, Sham Shui Po
    Seen Drobos at both, but you pay a premium vs. the cost of it in the USA. If you have connections back in the US you could look at someone shipping it over to you.
    Thanks.
    In that case, I'll get it when I go to the US later this year.

Only downside with that is you'll need a pretty big suitcase. It's not huge, but it's not tiny either. Like a long toaster.

I did some research on this a while back and decided to go with synology ds-211j, its their cheapest 2 bay model... I don't have any problems as of date since I am the only user, main usage is media server, storage and auto backup scripts at 4am in the morning..

I posted here also and got a lot of help regarding this subject..

linky here:http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/119/thread171681.html

Also, Synology supports a hybrid RAID system which functions as Drobo advertises but actually works:

Synology Inc. - NEW NAS Experience - Synology DSM 3.1 :: Volume

Original Post Deleted

A number of places in Wanchai Computer centre will repair Synology's NAS devices. I took mine there last year and it was quite good. They charged me HKD150 to look at the problem and give me a quote for a final repair.

Original Post Deleted
    If it's still under warranty, mine is warrantied by Hornington.. I might be wrong but I think they are the sole distributor of Synology in HK, don't quote me on that tho... or otherwise, what Katanga said..

Contact Info just for your reference below:

http://www.hornington.com/PublishWeb...ntPage6082.htm
    Last edited by justsomebody2; 13-03-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Only slightly more expensive than US

I checked out the HK distributor: Revo IT Consulting Limited - Online Store

And the Drobo FS, which I'm looking at, is only 5800 HKD (745 USD) vs. the advertised USD price at drobo.com of 699 USD (5444 HKD), so sure it is more expensive, but not by a lot.