Locking my pccw wireless network

Closed Thread

Locking my pccw wireless network

I have a macbook and a pccw high speed wireless connection. How can I lock my internet so neighbors can't steal it?
    Thx

That is a good question. How can I tell if my PCCW internet connection is not open to the neighbours? I can see it says it is password protected.

if you can see it so can they. Check the settings on the wireless router, there should be an option to turn off SSID.

Connect your macbook to the router with a cable. Go into the device interface. Use a browser to the device IP address (try 192.168.1.1 as the default). You will probably need an admin password- try Googling your device name + "admin password" to find what the default is likely to be.

Enable the WPA2 security option and bung a password into it. Bung the same password into your macbook.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. If you can't figure it out, ask a friend to come over and set it up for you.

PS: You can't "steal" the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by spooky:
    if you can see it so can they. Check the settings on the wireless router, there should be an option to turn off SSID.
    Ah, no. You really need to lock down the router with decent encryption. Not broadcasting the SSID or even locking down on MAC address isn't very good security.

I was responding to Football16 - he wants to know how to conceal (not open) connection from his neighbours. "password protected" - I take it for granted that it was either WPA or WPA2.

... so long as I'm not answering Football16's question hiding SSID will probably work 9/10 times. For your more technically inclined neighbours, nothing a combo of netstumbler, kismet and nessus can't find.

And some MAC address spoofing if you want to go all out.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:

PS: You can't "steal" the internet.
    Before the laws on Unauthorized computer use came in effect they use to prosecute hackers for electricity theft.

Maybe stealing is not that wrong.