OCZ Vortex or similar

Closed Thread

OCZ Vortex or similar

Anyone know the best place to get an SSD drive for my laptop?

Are they available at the Wanchai Computer Center?

Yes, you can find them there.. but...

suggest you go to golden computer center in sham shui po, they have a good variety vs price range there.

Hrm.. I was just at the Wan Chai computer centre (the one by MTR, not 298.) and there is a huge variance in Vertex Turbo pricing.. The lowest I saw was this guy in the middle booth, first floor, selling the VTXT60G (Vertex Turbo 60G) for 2000HKD flat.

Haven't checked out Golden in SSP yet. Thinking maybe this weekend.

Before buying SSD drives, you should get an idea on performance degradation problems SSD brand has and how the manufacturer deals with them.

SSD Makers Wrestle with Performance Degradation - www.enterprisestorageforum.com

As with all technology, SSD Drives is still in its adolescent stage, remember when IDE drives became common? they had "morning sickness", needed to be booted up and warmed up like a car that was sitting outside the freezing cold over night.

Based on that article, it's a double edge sword. Flash based SSD will definitely have limitations, physical RAM is getting cheaper for manufacturers to produce, who knows? a few years from now, imagine DDR1 or DDR2 chips being used as the next gen SSD, minus the bottleneck that is on the SATA bus and you'll have a data I/O that will be running about the speed of current FSB.

PC's use to be about CPU and GPU wars, now it's chipsets/mobo, hard disk, cpu and gpu, pretty much everything under the sun.. technology is moving so fast, humans cant catch up anymore..