Mini-Notebooks - Recommendation?

Closed Thread

Mini-Notebooks - Recommendation?

Showing my ignorance (+ laziness) here, but hey...

Both home PC and old laptop - while fine for daily basics - are ancient, so thinking of getting a mini-notebook.

Friends suggested I look into Lenovo IdeaPads 'S' series as I'd prefer a display around 10" (or better below) and no heavier than, say, 1.3KG.

Just checked local online sites, example: 有關《Lenovo Ideapad》的產品 - 香港格價網 Price.com.hk

and was wondering - coz I'm aware those advertised prices aren't real - where I could go to get the best price for an IdeaPad S10-2 or S10e, with full year's warranty (2-3 ideal!). Budget around HKD3K.

If anyone can recommend another model/brand if there's better out there, and from which shop, would appreciate tips that way, too.

This weekend, will be checking the usual places in Mong Kok, Wanchai, etc. Thanks.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

Have a look at Asus and Samsung- I have a 8.9 " screen and an SSD instead of an HDD and both I think contribute to the long time between charging.
    Most netbooks come with IGb memory which you should consider at least doubling.

Have a look at this to help you narrow your choice.

Liliputing — Compact Computing

I have a samsung mini from broadway 3 mths ago. Cost about $3k. Has about 100gb hdd. Inbuilt camera for skype. weighs about 1.4kg. Need external cd/dvd drive for about $700.
    I just use it to email, surf net and occasional editing of work docs. Pretty robust - touchwood.
    Posted via Mobile Device

oh yeah , screen is about 11"
    Posted via Mobile Device

You can get a free netbook if you subscribe to Smartone's 318 a month data plan. Vitesse. You might want to google it and see if you like it. At least you get internet to-go!

Here's the link: http://www.smartone-vodafone.com/jsp...lish/index.jsp

Last edited by MovingIn07; 30-10-2009 at 05:54 PM.

i think they're all pretty much of a muchness... the only thing that turned me off the Acer line was that the RAM chip is soldered in, so on the rare chance it fries, you can't just pull it out and pop a newy in. Otherwise they're all pretty similar. Some have built in 3G modems, some don't. If you don't need lots of storage, get a solid state drive. no problems if you drop it, though the screen might not fare as well.

don't expect them to perform as fast as a higher spec machine, they won't, even on WinXP. but for web surfing, streaming etc, they're ok. I upped the RAM in mine to 2GB before I even turned it on the first time, so no idea if it makes a difference but logic says it would.

I'm happy with my "old" EeePC 10" version. The lenovo line look good. As Movingin07 said you can get some varieties of netbooks for "free" if you sign up for a 24mth contract with Smartone etc.

Don't be mistaken in thinking you will only be using it for a little while - soon the portability becomes addictive and you find u may even stash it in your everyday carry bag. with this in mind, i do recommend 10" over 9"...

also look at the mouse/trackpads. try using it. another factor that drove my decision to get the EeePC was that on other models the left and right mouse buttons were either side of the trackpad, which i personally found annoying, but others probably love it.

just my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You can get a free netbook if you subscribe to Smartone's 318 a month data plan. Vitesse. You might want to google it and see if you like it. At least you get internet to-go!

Here's the link: SmarTone-Vodafone - Vodafone Netbook Vitesse
    got this and its not bad, it comes with a sim card so you can use it anywhere that you can get mobile signal.

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    Have a look at Asus and Samsung- I have a 8.9 " screen and an SSD instead of an HDD and both I think contribute to the long time between charging. Most netbooks come with IGb memory which you should consider at least doubling.

Have a look at this to help you narrow your choice.

Liliputing — Compact Computing
    KK - Thanks. Looked into the brands and the interesting site you mentioned; particularly at Asus eeePC T91 (your 8.9"?) and found it neat and gloriously LIGHT (under 1KG), with nifty 16GB SSD, thus easy on the battery, but... was aiming for bigger HD storage, actually. (Will also want to up the RAM by 1GB as with current ol' lappy - no probs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2:
    I have a samsung mini from broadway 3 mths ago. Cost about $3k. Has about 100gb hdd. Inbuilt camera for skype. weighs about 1.4kg. Need external cd/dvd drive for about $700.
    I just use it to email, surf net and occasional editing of work docs. Pretty robust - touchwood.
    "Robust" is GOOD, as I tend to be in a mindless hurry, and hardy ol' laptop's suffered lotsa knocks before. Checked out Samsung's N120 and N130... fine looking netbooks, but the 6-cell rather than standard 3-cell batt. seem pricier by half a K; plus while weight wise not bad, dimensions = not as 'slim' as the Asus or Lenovo models. Neat design though.

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    i think they're all pretty much of a muchness... the only thing that turned me off the Acer line was that the RAM chip is soldered in, so on the rare chance it fries, you can't just pull it out and pop a newy in. Otherwise they're all pretty similar. Some have built in 3G modems, some don't. If you don't need lots of storage, get a solid state drive. no problems if you drop it, though the screen might not fare as well...

As Movingin07 said you can get some varieties of netbooks for "free" if you sign up for a 24mth contract with Smartone etc.
    DDF - You're right 'bout them being "pretty much of a muchness". (Thought that's a Brit expression, and you normally 'reside' in Oz?)

When in shops, I ended up just going on quick, general looks, feel, weight, whether batt. life's an insy bit longer, ditto re: warranty.

Sage advice about less than 10" display not being ideal for eyes, especially as I don't want to perfect my squint any more than I have to... when later, undoubtedly, addicted to the new 'portability'.

So, am going for the Lenovo S10-2, mainly coz it's on some educational 'special promo' price, with bundling of 2GB RAM, anti-virus software, 16GB USB, 3-yr (instead of usual one) inter. warranty, plus bits. A la: HKEdOffer.com

Thanks also for news about Smartone-V free netbook with 24-mth data plan offer. Looked into that, checking out their Vitesse - cool, zippy/LIGHT, but 2-yr contract NOT my cuppa.

Excuse tardiness in replying - dog, and I... under the weather. (But her leg-joint probs are no longer a biggie... so have been enjoying the cooler climes outdoors.)