Downloading ".torrent" files in HK..

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Downloading ".torrent" files in HK..

Last week a HK man was convicted of copyright infringement for sharing three movies. It seems somewhat ironic that Hong Kong is the first country to prosecute this kind of case considering that priated movies are widely available in shops and markets. Of course BitTorrent can also be used for illegal and legitimate purposes alike. It is somewhat of a 'grey' area, but this is the distribution method that many people use to get television and sports programming... i.e. the latest episode of "Lost" or "The Daily Show".

Downloading a TV show is not quite the same as uploading a copy of a movie for distribution. Still, does the ruling make you apprehensive about downloading television programs in HK?

Wes, not really. The charge is a bit complicated, but it involved this person ripping DVDs and uploading them.

I'm hooked on West Wing, Prison Break and the 23 versions of CSI.

That is what I am thinking as well, but I will be keeping an eye out to see if they try to go after downloaders. If so they will probably start with people downloading movies.

My wife is also hooked on all the CSI varieties as well as the many many versions of Law and Order. I hope I don't have to cut her off in the near future

Hey KIA, wow, another WW fan. That's great. I'll borrow from you in the future!! As I'm not so intelligent I have to watch them a few times to try to understand what they're talking about. Still don't get it but like the jokes/innuendo.

Its hard to have sympathise with the record labels and movie studios etc when they have such little morals themselves, espeacilly when most people would buy the film/music/series if only it were available/not a complete rip-off...

I cant believe they will ever really go after people as it would undoubtably lead to a boycott of said record label/publishing house/film studio etc etc...

Do you guys watch the shows on your computer, or have you found a way to transfer them onto DVDs viewable on TV? Any tips, especially for Mac users?

I have a MAG DVD recorder which can play divx, xvid etc video files.
    Much simplier than re-encoding to DVD/VCD.

Just don't be the supplier of any booty. I tend to move my "files" from the shared folder once it is finished downloading.

>> they have such little morals themselves

It is not an issue of morals. Many legals things are not considered moral or ethical or visa-versa.

Dodgy-one : I don't save them .. usually just download / watch / delete. Yes, they're very american.

By the way, other than WW, CSI etc, I'm also majorly hooked on a BBC show 'Spooks'... puts virtually everything that the Americans have put out, to shame.

By the way, this is very close to #1 on my wishlist.

Sony VGX-XL1

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast