Chromium OS, and on towards Chrome OS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    SSD or HDD... there is no internal storage for this chrome os. that's their whole point... which I just don't see it being feasible anytime soon. someone made a great article recently about google losing data in their cloud for all sidekick users and again down time for gdoc users. it's just examples that when relying on cloud computing..... you need a perfect setup or you are gonna get screwed. I just don't think we are anywheres close to having a perfect setup.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    IMO, you (or any individual) are more likely to lose your laptop, or have it stolen, than Google are to specifically lose your data (out of the terrabytes upon terrabytes that they're handling). It's a psychological issue in my opinion; people just like to feel that they are in control. And once they do, they have a disproportionate sense of safety.

Do you not think Google's datacenters are more secure than your home? Or the Train? Or Starbucks? Also, do you trust whatever encryption and network security you have in place more than you trust Google's?

This is an interesting article on the matter:
    The Park Paradigm - Urban myths in clouds.

Bottom line for me: it's in Google's interests not to lose data. It's in my interests not to lose my laptop. Difference is, I won't/can't devote 24 hours per day and billions of dollars to make sure that doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jimlit:
    IMO, you (or any individual) are more likely to lose your laptop, or have it stolen, than Google are to specifically lose your data (out of the terrabytes upon terrabytes that they're handling). It's a psychological issue in my opinion; people just like to feel that they are in control. And once they do, they have a disproportionate sense of safety.

Do you not think Google's datacenters are more secure than your home? Or the Train? Or Starbucks? Also, do you trust whatever encryption and network security you have in place more than you trust Google's?

This is an interesting article on the matter:
    The Park Paradigm - Urban myths in clouds.

Bottom line for me: it's in Google's interests not to lose data. It's in my interests not to lose my laptop. Difference is, I won't/can't devote 24 hours per day and billions of dollars to make sure that doesn't happen.

first...google and t-mobile lost all of sidekick users data once before...while i have never had my laptop stolen.

second...im also referring to down time. the internal storage is only for cookies and such as mr.moo mentioned. apps and documents and all that junk are online in the clouds. that means if google goes down (which happened a few times recently)...or even if your own internet/3G connection is not working...then you are screwed. no ability to do anything with that unit.

so...as i said. its a great idea. but until the networks become table and secure enough that can be 100% reliant, its nothing more then a fun gimmick or toy. if this pushes the net providers to improve their networks faster, then it will be awesome.....as long as the price proves to be more beneficial to consumers then buying traditional storage.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    There is storage, it's for cookies, passwords, and of course HTML 5 local storage. Example usage can be found in Gmail and Google Docs offline storage.
    i know that...but there is no internal storage for real things like documents or videos or apps, etc. everything is online. which means no network...no play/work.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2