Getting rid of Winfixer

Closed Thread

Getting rid of Winfixer

My PC has just been infected with Winfixer, can see lots of ideas, removal programs on web, but am unsure which to trust and don't want to get more problems.

Does anybody know a 'safe' way to get rid of this beast, it's a nightmare and is not stopped by Norton

thanks

Last edited by paulmears; 16-11-2005 at 04:24 PM.

Search and Destroy Bot is known to get rid of WinFixer.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/

They're also the only company that I'm aware of which does not downgrade spyware to "safe advertising applications" like the f'wits at some of the well known spyware companies do.

Thanks for the link, this had done the job. It's very good as well to know of a 'safe' spycleaner, like you say some of the ones I have used before cause more problems than they solve.

This Winfixer is terrible if you cannot get rid of it as PC goes to 1/4 speed annoying pop ups every 10 mins or so. Even more annoying I have no idea where it came from or how it got on my machine as I am generally pretty careful.

KIA,

Many, many thanks for that link. I've been trying to clean up my laptop for a couple of months now, and that software has let me do it in a few minutes. Excellent stuff.

And being a nice sort of guy, the authors have a Paypal donation from me.

>> And being a nice sort of guy, the authors have a Paypal donation from me.

Cool! I have exchanged several emails with the guys who maintain the project and they're genuinely good people to support and deal with.