Rapidshare users : speed check?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    I get about 8 MB/s here with my connection

Trouble is, the hard drive actually has problems keeping up and writing this much to disk.
    You don't have a clue do you?

A drive not be able to write at 8MB/s ? Ummm....

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:

A drive not be able to write at 8MB/s ? Ummm....
    When downloading multiple streams, and having to jump about the platters my disks struggle.. I think you're the one without a clue. They might easily be able to achieve this figure in raw throughput but when you add in seek times I can easily see and hear the had drives whirring away with the file manager is stuck on 100% waiting for the write operation to be finished before moving on to the next fragment.

I don't even think you are worth arguing with, just in case you accidentally learn something.

yes, you drive struggles with 8MB writing.
    File manager is stuck at 100%
    jump about the platters.
    etc...

I'm glad I won't have to read your drivel in future.

For what it is worth.. Fenix2 is probably one of the three or four people who can out tech most techs I know.

(Yes, I do space out when he recommends that I replace my linksys router at home with a Cisco Pentabit Optical router which costs more than the GDP of many an Asian country.. but then thats him just being a little bit larger than life.. )

I just benchmarked my disk .. (regular Seagate SATA1000GB drive @ 7200RPM) running under Windows 7.

Sequential Writes are about 92MB/sec .. little load for sequential writes (which is what most home usage should be involving large media files).

That is nice shri, but it isn't what I was talking about. Try 10 concurrent downloads at 8Mb/s writing to a 5400rpm disk on an IDE bus and you will have a more accurate reflection of my old system.

You mean 8Mbps x 10 = 80Mbps? Time to move to something new I'd think if your CPU is being maxed. Not purchased something in the last 5 or 6 years that was not SATA based.

No, aggregate speed was 8Mb/s. I have moved onto a faster computer now, this was back in Tokyo where fast downloads were a reality rather than a dream!

Last edited by Geoff; 09-06-2010 at 09:24 PM.

Shri, you benchmark is for read/writing. Can you do it for writing please.

My my Dell D600, has 1.5Gzh, 1G Ram, 160GB, Samsung IDEdrive (UDMA 100) 5400rpm (which has overheating and seeking problem), Cpu running at 70%, Firefox with 8 tabs open, java, and flash aps running,, Opera (flash and ajax apps) with another 7 tabs open, Chandler (Python pig) Thunderbird, Skype (13 chat session open) various MS office products open, SSH, notepad, MS Security Essentials, a number of VMWare services running.

Basically this machine is a 5 year old machine, running a heavy load prior/during to the bench mark with a drive that has performance issues and top sequential rerad speed is 40MB/s.

When running SQLIO benchmark tool from Microsoft in background as I am typing this and I get close to 13.2MB/s MegaBYTES per second. Random Write speeds.

I use the following command for anyone who would like to compare.

sqlio -kW -s360 -frandom -o8 -b128 -LS -Fparam.txt
    timeout /T 60

To get 8MB/s it would require to have an even bigger piece of shit of a machine, with more messed up drive, with a bigger load, writing extremely small blocks to destroy any type of caching the drive or the OS could provide. I don't know what downloading software would not use caching or would not let the OS cache data and get much higher disk performance. Most bittorrent tools employ serious caching mechanisms to reduce disk IO to the minimum. Browsers and IP stacks struggle more with running multiple sockets with heavy payloads before the random disk IO becomes and issue.

Having said that, what Geoff said *could* happen under extreme circumstances with piss poor hardware and it is not any kind of benchmark on which you can base anything on, and certainly not use it as a yard stick to compare one ISP download speeds from another.

Last edited by Fenix2; 10-06-2010 at 04:07 AM.

Weird !

Hi again,

I am now sure that something or someone outside my home configuration is limiting my speed access. Gold Coast Residence is selling a 6mega speed with their apartments but I get only 2mega speed. I thought it was depending from downloading from HK or overseas but no. Downloading movies from Itunes witch I think are big and really fast server, I get 200Ks not more. Strangely the first day I get the apartment I bought Avatar from Itunes and was downloading at 600Ks.
    So a technical guy from PCCW came to my home and did nothing then just connecting to a Yahoo HK web site to download a 100 mega video. Surprise ! we downloaded at 600Ks ! Cool. During 2 days I get that speed and then ... back to 200Ks again ! I really really asking myself some questions :-) What do you think ? Any Gold Coast Residence people here with same issue ?