Second tier internet providers?

Closed Thread

Second tier internet providers?

OK, this may be a non starter but want to check my options.

I'm presently with PCCW for internet through Netvigator. The max speed they can offer in my flat is their 8M service. I am looking for something faster.

Both HKBN and HGC say they can't provide service to my building.

Now I know that others on the board (I think HK.com) has mentioned that there are other providers who basically ride on the back of PCCW.

Now, would these providers be able to get me speeds above PCCW's 8M service, or will I also be limited by this speed?

Could someone point me in the right direction of the names of these companies?

Oh, I should add I need a line based provider, i.e. I'm not looking at mobile internet offered by SMV, etc.

Thanks

Last edited by pin; 09-12-2009 at 03:28 PM.

You'd be limited to the same speed. PCCW isn't withholding something out of spite - if the PCCW network to your premises was capable of more than 8Mbit/s then I'm sure they'd be happy to sell it to you.

8Mbit/s is basically the fastest you can get using ADSL technology and long-ish bits of copper wire. To get to 30Mbit/s you need optical fibre to your building (or very close to it) and then VDSL over good quality building wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    You'd be limited to the same speed. PCCW isn't withholding something out of spite - if the PCCW network to your premises was capable of more than 8Mbit/s then I'm sure they'd be happy to sell it to you.

8Mbit/s is basically the fastest you can get using ADSL technology and long-ish bits of copper wire. To get to 30Mbit/s you need optical fibre to your building (or very close to it) and then VDSL over good quality building wiring.
    Ah well, thanks for the confirmation. I guess I'll have to stick with PCCW.