Please help - which laptop to buy?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Please help - which laptop to buy?

hi,

I have gotten some good advice in the past from this forum on tech issues (and other HK day-to-day issues!) and was hoping to get some more info on technology purchases.

I am trying to figure out which laptop to buy and would really appreciate some suggestions/advice. I am looking at IBM Thinkpads, Dell or HP - need a fast laptop that has DVD/CD burning capabilities and decent storage capabilities. Will be running analytical programs along with some graphics programs as well. I will also need it to be very portable (read: not too heavy) so that I can use it on the road as well as at home. It will be my primary "work PC".

Any suggestions on model types and configurations would be greatly appreciated. And suggestions on where to purchase would be wonderful (I know Windsor House is a decent place but is expensive) - preferably on the Island and not in Kowloon.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jaetee; 22-11-2005 at 12:33 AM.

Hi jaetee,

I recall a previous post of yours saying you use bloomberg. Would the graphics just be charts of the market?

If it's just charts, most laptops would be fine for it. I like the reliability of Toshiba, but they can be a bit on the expensive side. Do look at the IBM T series. Never really tried a Dell laptop, but I know that the HK sales and support is very bad from experience..

Hi,
    I'm planning to move to Hong Kong and am wondering if I should buy a laptop here in Sweden or wait until I get to Hong Kong. I am considering an Acer Travelmate--one that is super light, about 1.3 kg. Alternately, a tablet PC of any brand that's similar in weight. Does anyone know what the price range is?
    Thanks!

Acer travelmates are very cheap in hk at the moment, was in wanchai computer centre last night and they have them starting from $6500 hk.

I'm in the process of looking for a second laptop too and am in the process of tracking one down, so much choice out there.

If you're looking for a tablet then thats in the $10k price range.

Its Dell for me!

Jaetee....
    i have a dell inspiron 700....cost me 8000 hk$....and it has almost all the features u r looking for...
    bought it online and when i purchased..there was an offer of 40GB free with 40..i.e. 80 GB hard disk..and free upgrade to DVD/RW....
    u should check www.dell.com.hk and see if u find something...because the best part is you can configure the system all by yourself...
    and it has a 12.1" screen..and weighs about 1.5Kgs...
    Good luck with your decision

HP= garbage. I wouldnt even use it as a coaster for my coffee... its that bad.

honestly, as much as i hate conglomerate companies, dell makes the best pc's for your $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by golfduke:
    HP= garbage. I wouldnt even use it as a coaster for my coffee... its that bad.

honestly, as much as i hate conglomerate companies, dell makes the best pc's for your $$$.

Hp I agree with, used to support them and not reccomended at all, same goes with compaq as they're now the same company.

Dell's customer support is useless though and can be a nightmare to upgrade parts.

Out of the big ones I'd reccomend acer and asus and samsung, avoid benq as the hard drive on my laptop went twice in a year.

Toshiba, Toshiba and Toshiba.

I've been using Toshibas since 1989 and have not yet had one go bad on me.

The key is buy a mid range Tosh, not the lowest end (this is where they are likely to put a dodgy component or two).

I have an older Compaq x1000 and if I could go and do it all over again I would not buy the same computer. It has a ton of great features but I've had a ton of problems to go with them.

I personally have had bad experiences with dell even in the States so I don't use them either. If I were to pick a brand new laptop and had the money, I would go with an Alienware. ot Toshiba. Alienware is really high end, but their reputation is really good. Toshiba is more modertly priced but still has a great rep.

c

Weight has never bothered me, and for the last 7 years I've been very happy with IBM Thinkpads - initially an A21p and now a T41. No complaints at all - very solid.

Last edited by PDLM; 22-11-2005 at 01:07 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast