WinXP EeePC Dual boot on Linux

WinXP EeePC Dual boot on Linux

Has anyone gotten their XP based NetBook to run on Linux?? Been looking at getting my EeePC 1000H to run on EeeBuntu, however even after creating a liveUSB and changing the boot order on the BIOS it boots straight to Windows. Tried other flavours of Linux with the same success. The EeeBuntu is supposed to have Wi-Fi support etc as is.

My EeePC has a 50/50 partition on the HDD for Windows and the other partition is not used, so it wouldn't be too hard to set it up to boot on either XP or Linux if I got it all together... I'm completely a newby at this.

Any tips?

I use windows xp and EeeBuntu on my EeePC 1000H.
    Installed the EeeBuntu in windows xp with WUBI. (Wubi - Ubuntu Installer for Windows) for more information just check the website.

I have an Acer One and am running Ubuntu netbook remix on it no problems. Wifi, etc worked out of the box.

was your netbook shipped with linux or XP? dual boot or linux only? I'd like to have the flexibilty of dual boot, otherwise yeah i'd just do a neat linix install.

Quote Originally Posted by dropdedfwed:
    was your netbook shipped with linux or XP? dual boot or linux only? I'd like to have the flexibilty of dual boot, otherwise yeah i'd just do a neat linix install.
    shipped with xp. i'm running dual boot linux / xp at the moment.

Have you got it set to quick boot? If so, turn that off. I know last time I booted from USB I had to manually select the drive (by repeatedly hitting esc I think). Once you set up linux you'll have a GRUB loader which will handle your OS selecting.

Use windows XP and Ubuntu remix [dual boot]. just install in windows xp the Unbuntu with WUBI. (wubi-installer.org) for more information just check the website

Quote Originally Posted by opensourceguy:
    Use windows XP and Ubuntu remix [dual boot]. just install in windows xp the Unbuntu with WUBI. (wubi-installer.org) for more information just check the website
    ditto on the wubi. Not a "true" dual boot, but it does the job.

Quote Originally Posted by neither3nor4:
    Have you got it set to quick boot? If so, turn that off. I know last time I booted from USB I had to manually select the drive (by repeatedly hitting esc I think). Once you set up linux you'll have a GRUB loader which will handle your OS selecting.
    now THAT was the problem. For a while i was getting errors just writing the LiveUSB, but finally after that was sorted and i disabled quick boot, all was good. The EeePC had 2 partitions from the box (even after I totally re-installed XP) so after a few attempts at getting the partitions correct it works flawlessly as dual boot w/o USB. EeeBuntu upgraded to ubuntu 9.1 Karmic Koala... wi-fi, webcam, no problems.

At each boot up it just asks ubuntu or XP.

NOW the problem is - how to recognise USB modem (ZTE MF636). I can find all these links to terminal scripts etc, but how do I open the modem script? As u can see I have no idea.. it's a learning process...

how bizarre... after hours of trying to open scripts, i just ejected the modem from file browser, and the system treated it as a modem instead of a mass storage device. so we're all working... and faster than my PCCW home internet... bastards..

still curious to know how to edit basic command scripts though