Windows XP problem

Windows XP problem

Not sure if this is the right place to look for answers, but I will try.

First off, I already tried the fixes offered by Microsoft in their website. My home pc crashed yesterday, figured out using my laptop that there was a file missing in the Windows Registry (c:\windows\...\security) something about hive (no clue what that is?).

Anyways I followed the Microsoft website instructions, and tried Recovery Option with Window XP installation disk, but still couldn't get the Windows XP to restart.

So I tried to reinstall Windows XP on a second harddrive and ran from their. It ok, but all my other files & programs seems to be associated with the first harddrive and is therefore not in use. So I will have to reload every software again (a very time consuming task...there goes my weekend).

I was thinking to simply copy all my important documents and files from my first harddrive into a portable harddrive (via USB) and then wipe my first harddrive clean and reinstall windows all over again. IF there are any IT experts out there, is there another way to get access to all my old files. Best solution is to find a way to fix the original registry (missing file, but since I have no backup, I am lost).

Ideas anyone?

1. The time you (waste) trying to fix Windows is time you can put into re-installing
    2. Before you re-install:
    2.a backup important stuff
    2.b download drivers for your hardware so you can install them easily once windows is ready
    3. once Windows is installed, make sure you install Service Pack 3 and all the other patches
    4. Use the program at Ninite Easy PC Setup and Multiple App Installer - Great For Win7 Upgrades to re-install many commonly used programs
    5. make sure you have your Windows product key handy

cheers and good luck

Did you try Safe Mode?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by KT2009:
    Not sure if this is the right place to look for answers, but I will try.

First off, I already tried the fixes offered by Microsoft in their website. My home pc crashed yesterday, figured out using my laptop that there was a file missing in the Windows Registry (c:\windows\...\security) something about hive (no clue what that is?).

Anyways I followed the Microsoft website instructions, and tried Recovery Option with Window XP installation disk, but still couldn't get the Windows XP to restart.

So I tried to reinstall Windows XP on a second harddrive and ran from their. It ok, but all my other files & programs seems to be associated with the first harddrive and is therefore not in use. So I will have to reload every software again (a very time consuming task...there goes my weekend).

I was thinking to simply copy all my important documents and files from my first harddrive into a portable harddrive (via USB) and then wipe my first harddrive clean and reinstall windows all over again. IF there are any IT experts out there, is there another way to get access to all my old files. Best solution is to find a way to fix the original registry (missing file, but since I have no backup, I am lost).

Ideas anyone?
    Can you give a better description of what is the error you are getting when attempting to load windows? or does it just say "windows cannot load due to missing file from win.ini" or something similar?

If the latter is the case, then you can probably get the file from your currently installed new windows and drop it into the directory of your old windows installation and give that a shot.

DONT mess with the registry if you don't know what you are doing, you can break windows permanently, worst case scenario is you have to reinstall everything.

Based from personal experience, it's usually easier to just reinstall windows then trying to fix it.

future reference, since you have 2 hard disk, you can image a clean install of your windows installation + all your programs onto the other hard disk, so if your windows crap out on you in the future or you just want to reinstall to get that feeling of a newly installed windows, you can use the image and be done in less time then you would need to finish your lunch, the program that allows you to do this is "norton ghost".

Thanks for everyone's feedback so far....

The exact error is:
    Stop: c0000218 {registry file failure}
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):
    \systemroot\system32\config\security or its log or alternate.
    It is corrupt, absent or not writable.

I tried using the Recovery Option following the Microsoft support website...the security file is missing and I have no clue how to replace it.

Now that I have another windows xp working on my second harddrive, you guys think if I copy and paste this missing file from my second harddrive to my first harddrive should solve the problem, or blow up my PC?

Any thoughts before I tried this delicate maneuver...

That missing file may only be the first of many. Still, no harm in trying.

Quote Originally Posted by KT2009:
    Thanks for everyone's feedback so far....

The exact error is:
    Stop: c0000218 {registry file failure}
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):
    \systemroot\system32\config\security or its log or alternate.
    It is corrupt, absent or not writable.

I tried using the Recovery Option following the Microsoft support website...the security file is missing and I have no clue how to replace it.

Now that I have another windows xp working on my second harddrive, you guys think if I copy and paste this missing file from my second harddrive to my first harddrive should solve the problem, or blow up my PC?

Any thoughts before I tried this delicate maneuver...

I suggest running a chkdsk /r on your old hard disk, I've seen this before and it turned out the hard disk was one foot in the grave, if you are seeing a lot of errors after running chkdsk, replace the drive.

You can continue to use it after running a chkdsk since windows will mark all the bad sectors and your OS will no longer write to them, but 7/10 times I have seen more and more bad sectors popping up,

have you notice any CRC (cyclic redundancy error) messages pop up on occasion? or you were doing something and you get some write/read errors that just makes no sense? if it is yes, then that further confirms my above statement.