Linux netbook running times

Linux netbook running times

Any one noticed improvements in running times with Linux on a netbook over Windows XP/Vista/7? I'm running 7 but want longer run times. Will Ubuntu do this for me?

I believe 7 has the best battery performance out of all the choices (Windows, Linux, OS X). Better running time can be had with non-Intel hardware, i.e. ARM based laptops and there is not many of them available yet.

If you run Ubuntu you should run powertop for a while to tweak what settings and programs are draining more power than necessary.

Last edited by MrMoo; 01-01-2010 at 01:47 PM.

Really? I was led to believe that Linux was superior (power-wise).

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    Really? I was led to believe that Linux was superior (power-wise).
    I think it's actually the worst, most of the issues are due to the Intel processor though, each release it's slowly getting better, the latest versions with tickless kernels giving a good boost.

(edit) checking some reviews comparing Windows to Ubuntu tend to be rather inconclusive performance numbers all over the place. Some suggesting XP is better, some suggesting Fedora is better and Ubuntu in the middle.

Typical reports give 7 an hour extra battery life over XP on a netbook:
    http://jkontherun.com/2009/10/28/net...-vs-windows-7/

This report gives 4.5 hours to XP, 2.5 to Ubuntu:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=495082

Ubuntu supports ARM but until Chrome OS ships in the 3rd quarter this year I doubt many are going high street retail.
    Last edited by MrMoo; 01-01-2010 at 03:28 PM.

It looks like ARM notebooks are going for the smaller footprint rather than longer battery life, this one looks pretty nice,

Marvell shows off an ODM smartbook thinner than strict decency permits (hands-on with video!) -- Engadget