Skype 2.0 with Video

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Skype 2.0

I use Skype extensively, not used YM at all, but Skypes Video and Speech is far superior to MSN messenger and the speech also. Skype is improving its service on an almost weekly basis.
    I can also highly recomend the SkypeIn service. I pay 30Euros for a UK number (I also have a HK and USA number but thats not the issue here). My family who are totally computer phobic can simply call the London number for free (BT together or something) and it calls my Skype PC.
    Even if I am logged onto three PC's at once, they all 'ring' and the message "Parents Home" pops up on the screen. Even better is that I have Skype call forwarding. So if I am not on my PC, the number gets forwarded to my Hong Kong mobile. They don't get charged anything, I get charged about 3 Euro cents a minute. Of course if I am in China, I forward the number to my China SIM. No one needs to know where I am.
    Now if I could just get them to pick up the damned phone and dial!
    Oh yes, I use a Logitech messenger webcam, the reason is you can always download the driver. Get a dodgy Shenzhen cheapo and you might not be able to download a new driver. If you are like me I lose the disc 5 seconds after opening the Box.

UK VoIP number

One more thing that may be of use to some of you. Lots of companies in theUK now sell VoIP phones that connect to a broadband modem. You get a UK local number with pretty much any area of your choosing. BT and Tesco are two companies that I know have started providing the service.
    What this means is that for 2 pounds a month you get a UK phone number with free evening and weekend calls. For 7 pounds you get unlimited UK calls at any time. This should work fine from Anywhere in the world including Hong Kong (Thats what VoIP is!)
    For more info start here.
    http://www.bt.com/broadband/bb_info....etSection=talk

So if I understand correctly you are paying about 40 Euros (400 HK$) a month for your UK to HK phone calls?

That would buy you over an hour each and every day using PCCW - do you really call that much?

It looks worse if you start comparing with PCCW's competitors like 1507 who only charge $0.07/minute HK to UK. For $400 you get 95 hours!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2