Like Tree1Likes

broadband internet connection needed

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

broadband internet connection needed

Hi there,

I'm moving to HK at the beginning of Feb, and have been looking for broadband.

I will be living in Sheung wan, and made enquiries to PCCW and HKBN.

PCCW Fibre is not connected at the building
    HKBN is not connected either.

This leave me with going for standard broadband, PCCW say i can use their 8M service.

Their website says 8M is a whopping $398 a month and is limited to 200 hours. This is a lot more than their fibre packages and seems to be a lot more than what you guys are paying.

I've made enquiries to Netfront and Cyberec but both dont respond to emails.

Ideally i want something non contract basis, so i can quickly switch to PCCW fibre or HKBN when its connected.

bdw

Yes $398 for 200 hours without a contract sounds about right. If you want a better deal with unlimited hours, you need to sign at least an 18 month contract.

Upgrading with PCCW should not be a problem.
    The unlimited 8M service is great, and if they get a faster line in to your building you will be able to sign up it, but they will probably start your 12/18mth contract again.

If you sign up for Now TV and PCCW internet at the same time, you get a pretty good deal.

What are you going to be using it for? there is also mobile broadband offered by a couple of providers (I use smartone) which is an alternative if you move around. it's fine for normal stuff (email, surfing), not fast enough for high volume stuff though.

Thanks guys, i didnt realise the $398 was a non contract price.

I will be using it for VPNing into work (London), so need a solid stable, low latency line for RDP access and VoIP.

Reading through other thread, i see people have signed up with PCCW for around $200 a month, is this the same 8M service ?

bdw

Yes $398 is the no contract price. Also note you will have to pay a $300 installation charge. This is waived if you go for a contract.

With a contract, I think it is $208 per month for 8MB with unlimited usage. You can also add $38 per month for the NowTV with some free channels and they also throw in a couple of paid channels.

If an 18 month contract is too long for you, I think HGC (Hutchison Global) offer similar pricing on a 12 month contract. But you will have to check if they service your building.

I have the 8M service in my building, its the fastest they offer in my building.

Generally no complaints, does what it says on the tin.

However, to get it at around HK$200 a month, you do need to sign a contract for 12/18/24 months. The longer contract you sign the cheaper the monthly rental becomes.

You can also get Now TV thrown in, but personally I won't bother, its c*ap (but that is just my personal opinion).

bdw

Im not sure why the OP would want PCCW fiber anyway. Its still way overpriced at about $600 a month still, isnt it? The HKBN package for $99 looks interesting though.

I have just moved into a brand new development. I have free 100MB fibre for 2 years provided by Towngas Telecom. But I noticed the normal price is $688 per month. If this is still the price in 2 years, I will not be going with this service.

Strangely, the maximum speed PCCW can do in my brand new building is 8MB. I asked them why and they didnt really give a straight answer. I hope I am not locked into Towngas in a couple of years if I want faster speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    Im not sure why the OP would want PCCW fiber anyway. Its still way overpriced at about $600 a month still, isnt it? The HKBN package for $99 looks interesting though.

I have just moved into a brand new development. I have free 100MB fibre for 2 years provided by Towngas Telecom. But I noticed the normal price is $688 per month. If this is still the price in 2 years, I will not be going with this service.

Strangely, the maximum speed PCCW can do in my brand new building is 8MB. I asked them why and they didnt really give a straight answer. I hope I am not locked into Towngas in a couple of years if I want faster speeds.
    Didn't even know Towngas offered such a service. Just been on their website, seems to be more of a business offering then consumer offering.

The problem with HKBN and HGC is coverage. I basically have no choice but to go with PCCW, as none of the other providers offer a service in my building.

bdw

My building is a Henderson development and I think Towngas are also a subsidiary of Henderson. The 2 years free service was just one of the incentives from the developer to get me to buy the flat.

Anyway, I am fine for 2 years. Its actually quite a nice service because its a direct ethernet plug on the wall and I have no modem to worry about. There is some home automation system above the ceiling in the kitchen and when the guy came to connect it he was playing around in the ceiling.

I just hope after 2 years the price comes down a lot or I am free to get 100MB service from somewhere else (or maybe 1GB by then)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast