Does this product exist?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Does this product exist?

I want a small piece of equipment that I can put a SIM into and connect to internet with mobile broadband and then which will create a wifi network that I can then connect to for the internet.

And I mean WIFI not Bluetooth (my phone will do bluetooth, but very unreliably, and besides taking the SIM in and out of the phone is right pain).

It sounds vaguely like the thing Nevtigator were promoting, but I don't want to sign up with them. Does anyone have any ideas?

(This is my next great thought in the long-running saga of trying to find a solution to connecting my windows laptop to my mobile broadband... ideally I'd love to get around the "stick sticking out the side of the laptop" syndrome, which is really inconvenient why hurtling around on buses....)

Last edited by MovingIn07; 09-01-2010 at 06:21 PM.

Last edited by MrMoo; 09-01-2010 at 06:28 PM.

i saw similar gadgets to what you describe in SSP Golden Computer centre, called 3G router. looked all the world like a standard wireles router with 4 ethernet out ports and a wifi aerial. not sure how u set them up to auto dial out etc... from $350-700 from memory.

actually, the ones I saw i think u just stick your USB dongle into it, so you'd not be wasting your (now obsolete due to windows 7) Huawei USB modem that you have. and you'd have no windows 7 issues... but i have no first hand exp with these

actually, i just realised the ones i saw with ethernet would be useless for you, cos u want one on the go, right ?

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 09-01-2010 at 07:13 PM.

for the bus - yeah, the dongle sticking out is a PITA... you'd either need a built in 3G modem (a bit late now u have your new toy) or use your phone as a bluetooth modem (or have you already tried that?). might be cheaper to buy a second phone with an internet suite and go bluetooth if u don't want to sign up for any plans

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 09-01-2010 at 07:16 PM.

Some phones also have the functionality that MI07 is looking for (e.g., the HTC HD2).

THanks. SOunds like a trip to Golden is in order tomorrow to see what they have got.... I did try using a phone... my "old" p1i which I have just replaced, but hilariously (or not) while I got it to work with the window machine, I couldn't get the darn thing to work with the mac! I want a solution that works with BOTH computers .... [deeps sighs].

have you tried the 3G script to go either via USB or bluetooth with the P1i??

you can add a script to the modem script library from

Ross Barkman's Home Page

i think the generic SE 3G script would do. there are a few tutorials on the net - i did this a few years ago with my iBook G4 and a SE k750i, and before that T610. i've also had the most recent success using telstra samsung blackjack i600 (windows based) following similar setup. it all takes a bit of fiddling, but once you get it going it just works like a 'dial-up" connection.

Moving07.

many phones can do this, for a few years now.

Just get a 5th Generation Symbian Nokia which has WIFI support and you are done. You may have to buy the hotspot software for the Nokia, but that is a one time thing and saves you all the hassle that the options above have.

Last edited by hk.com; 10-01-2010 at 02:54 AM.

So I went hunting for the huawei E5 in the Golden Computer Arcade today. Only one shop had them, and they were only being sold with a data contract. I asked about 20 other shops, only 2 even appeared to know what I was after and both of them also said "only with a contract". Anybody else seen these for sale unlocked anywhere?

Here a product for Symbian and Windows mobile that turn your phone into a wifi hotspot using 3G data service.

JoikuShop - JoikuSpot Premium - Full Licence - Premium Software For Your Mobile

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast