Computer Festival Jan 2010 15th-18th

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Computer Festival Jan 2010 15th-18th

Anyone know anything about this "http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/jsp/event-search/search-details.jsp?event_id=49441" ? Im not sure if it is electronics, net books laptops, computer parts.

Would it be worth going if i was looking for a new cpu/ram/graphics card?

If you're willing to deal with the crowds its a fun to see 200 shop selling the same stuff.

from todays' Standard

I wandered into one of these 'festivals' once when I was in SSP. As Shri points out, it tends to be loads of indistinguishable stores sellging largely identical products to large crowds.

If I recall correctly, the products tend to be standard consumer items such as printers, external hard drives, screens and laptops. I don't recally seeing components such as RAM or graphics cards, but maybe they are pushed too.

If you do go, you should know exactly what you want (brand, model, spec) and for how much. There is little opportunity to browse comfortably, and little opportunity to ask sales people questions (not that you should be asking salespeople tech questions in HK anyway). I rather suspect that deals are hard to come by, but the only basis I have for this claim is that the USB thumb drives that were being pushed at the last fair I went to were going for normal retail prices anyway. Margins in HK are so low that I don't think there is much scope for additional discounting.

>> Margins in HK are so low that I don't think there is much scope for additional discounting.

A fair bit of the "specials" are manufacturers dumping old models to make room for new and shiny products.

from the article, it sounds like there are big discounts on very limited numbers (eg <50) of very specific items, and then loads of shops as mentioned selling the same crap at regular prices...

Oh, I just remembered that I went to one in the convention centre as well under the mistaken assumption that the event was to showcase tech and not just move consumer boxes

My overall impression of these events are that they use a smallish number of actual bargains to generate big crowds, and then rely on the herd instinct of the crowd to cause people to buy stuff.

Anyway, if the OP is after specific PC components like RAM or GPUs, it's definitely not worth going.

Was on the TV too, some crappy 19" widescreen BenQ monitor for HK$599, and a 4GB USB flash stick for HK$39. People were queuing up for 3 hours for this. Woohoo!

I went to the SSP one last night and was disappointed.

Hard to tell which items were sale priced...these could have been their everyday prices for all I could tell.

Like other said, no use praying for a chance at the doorcrasher items.

I went to buy an LCD and luckily held off my purchase. I agree that it's much better to have specific model # in mind when going. I didn't and had to come home to check specs/reviews and am please I did or I'd have ended up with some cheap TN panel.

is there anything like CES in HK or asia?
    id like to attend that

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast