Need help with computer

Need help with computer

I am computer ignorant and recently my home-made computer crashed. A store in Wanchai reinstalled Windows but now I have 2 copies of the OS including the old one, and I want to back up all my files on the old version then delete it as it takes up so much memory. Also on the new OS, my audio device doesn't work because I have no idea what sound card I have, and no idea what driver to download. Of course no idea how to open up the machine and have a look either.

Does anyone know of someone who can come to the house and fix my computer at a reasonable fee? I was given a few names and they charge up to $400 an hour which is too much. I don't like trying out any of the computer centers sa they came across as so aggressive, and I don't trust them.

for the sound card go into your control panel and look in your device manager for your audio specs there should be at least a serial number or a model number a name. find out what it is and do a search on google for it, there should be a result for drivers etc.

The best thing to do for backing up is back up your C: (or your old drive) onto a seperat external hd or a dvd burner. then after you have done that do a complete format and reinstall the OS.

I will help you dizzyhytes.

I can come to your house if you want. I have all necessaries for repair your computer. (sorry for my englishI'm french)

Please contact me by pm.

bye bye

arrobazz

Help with Computer

Hi Takeanu

Thanks but when I tried that it says no audio devices found...that's why I was a little perplexed. Tried a few other things too but they didn't work and I gave up. A couple of kind people have offered to help me so hopefully I can have my computer back to normal by the new year...

Thanks and regards
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by takeanu
    for the sound card go into your control panel and look in your device manager for your audio specs there should be at least a serial number or a model number a name. find out what it is and do a search on google for it, there should be a result for drivers etc.

The best thing to do for backing up is back up your C: (or your old drive) onto a seperat external hd or a dvd burner. then after you have done that do a complete format and reinstall the OS.

you could try places like Videocomm in WC Comp City. expensive but professional, i know from experience. they have a full diagnostic for 150 bucks, repairs and parts extra...

Help with Computer

Hey thanks everyone for your help. I've managed to find a couple of people to help me which is really great!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by cerberus
    you could try places like Videocomm in WC Comp City. expensive but professional, i know from experience. they have a full diagnostic for 150 bucks, repairs and parts extra...