Netvigator IMAP vs POP mail

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Netvigator IMAP vs POP mail

I originally had my Netvigator set up as Pop and my husband said imap was "better". Well not for me it isn't and I want to go back to POP, but I cannot figure out how on earth to do so. Also, if I convert (assuming I figure out how) - can I change all the messages (some 1GB) in the inbox so that they finally download?

Not clear to me why you would want to go back to POP (except potentially if you have limited storage on the server - or if you are using a crappy mail client). What is that you cannot do with IMAP that you think you can achieve with POP?

Im not sure exactly what you mean. But you can go to Welcome to netvigator.com and click on NETMAIL, then login, then click on OPTIONS. There are some setting in here, including POP.

But I always thought POP and IMAP was supported together at the same time and you can choose either one.

I'm going to chime in with my advice...
    1. ditch ISP mail
    2. switch to gmail

* Yes, you can still retrieve email from your ISP mailbox from the google interface
    * You can even "send as" your ISP address from gmail
    * gmail supports both POP3 and IMAP

* The only real advantage of IMAP imho is that it supports folders/structure - not a big deal in the age of search

Simple and easy to do. What mail client are you using? It's just a case of changing settings there. Why you'd want to go back to an old dinosaur like POP is beyond me though.

IMAP mail has a few advantages. Mail is stored on a server, similar to Exchange so not taking disk space. Folder structures are set once and automatically replicate across clients. And the icing on the cake is sent mail. I send a mail from my Mac and that sent mail I can see on my PC, on my phone in fact whatever device is set up for that mail.

POP? No that's now in the bin along with fax machines, dot matrix printers and phones with a dial.
    Posted via Mobile Device

ok - to be clear ... I DO NOT WANT MY MAIL STORED ON A SERVER!

That's why I want to go back to Pop.

I'm using Outlook Express for this... it is just ONE of my mail systems, and I'm not changing from Outlook Express. It fits within my strategy for managing mail ... this strategy involves having this particular mail download from the server into OUtlook Express.

I already use gmail and apple mail for other reasons and other situations - this is a specific question for a specific set of mail. Yes - netvigator only gives me 1 GB of storage, which is now full and causing me all sorts of problems. I cannot get any of the &^^^% mail to download so it's stuck on the server and at this rate I'm going to have to delete it all and lose it - which is [bleep bleep] pissing me off.

I tried all the options - I just cannot figure out how to CHANGE in the netvigator settings.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2020:
    2. switch to gmail
    And have Google (and potentially the PRC government) read all your messages?

I'm happy with POP3 - for me it isn't broken so I ain't going to try to fix it.

I don't like the concept of web-based mail in general - it has a far higher hacking risk than my personal PC, and I have no doubt that Google is storing gmail users' emails correlated with their entire browsing and search history in a way that I am not at all comfortable with.

My entire personal email history (since 1995) is only a couple of gigabytes so backup is not an issue at all.

From http://cs.netvigator.com/eng/ you need to change the Inbound server in your client back from ndimap.netvigator.com to ndpop.netvigator.com (I recall that you are a NetMail Plus user).

Last edited by PDLM; 26-01-2010 at 10:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:

From NETVIGATOR -- Customer Service you need to change the Inbound server in your client back from ndimap.netvigator.com to ndpop.netvigator.com (I recall that you are a NetMail Plus user).
    Thanks. I tried that yesterday - it doesn't work (it just gives me a download error). (yes, you are right, I am netmail plus).

For a while, I too was concerned about keeping my email online.. I don't anymore, I figure google have more to lose in a hacking incident than I do.
    Anyway, I won't try to convince anyone.
    However, if you are keeping your email / important documents on your own PC's, I hope you're using something like truecrypt

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast