Like Tree2Likes

Recommendation for Mac related labor

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

ronnie,

thanks for that link. good thing mine isnt affected. i just want a bigger HD as the 160gb is too small. i just arrived in hong kong a couple weeks ago and the people i know here would not have the tools. the thing i am most worried about is popping off the shell as i dont have a pry tool.

any recommendations for best place to buy a HD or are most places the same?

General experience for anything by Apple is that they maintain the price pretty well here. You may be able to get some third party parts or second hand parts, but at your own risk.

Oh, just for your info, get a Hitachi HD for replacement. They are the most reliable drives and will serve you for years without hiccups. I have used 20 desktops and 9 laptops for over 15 years. They're mostly Macs and 1 or 2 PC's. This is my personal experience and recommendation. Don't buy from Apple. They are expensive for no good reason. I don't even buy RAM from them. Even simple cables are overpriced.
    To backup your hard drive before replacement, download the free Carbon Copy Cloner. You can google for it. Use that to clone your present HD to an external drive. Then use CCC to transfer everything back.

Last edited by ronnie yeoh; 19-02-2010 at 01:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie yeoh:
    Oh, just for your info, get a Hitachi HD for replacement. They are the most reliable drives and will serve you for years without hiccups. I have used 20 desktops and 9 laptops for over 15 years. They're mostly Macs and 1 or 2 PC's. This is my personal experience and recommendation. Don't buy from Apple. They are expensive for no good reason. I don't even buy RAM from them. Even simple cables are overpriced.
    To backup your hard drive before replacement, download the free Carbon Copy Cloner. You can google for it. Use that to clone your present HD to an external drive. Then use CCC to transfer everything back.
    thanks ronnie. yeah ive been reading that hitachi and seagate are the ones to get. i have been using CCC to backup my stuff, its a great program and its FREE! RAM from apple is def overpriced. I wish the 4gb modules were more affordable as I would like to upgrade to 6GB, but def do not want to spend $150+ USD on it.

Recent consumer report: Windsor House.

Problem MacBook Black (2006), screen near blank with "splodges". Previously known issue.

Repair shops tried.

DG Lifestyle Store, Unit 1118-21, 11/F Windsor House. Technician examined the computer, claimed that there was a motherboard problem as the external video port didn't work (false), then tried to charge HK$300 for an examination when the price sheet (next to him) said $200.

APS Technical Co, Unit 1117, 11/F. Wanted HK$400 for a preliminary inspection with a 2 day turnaround.

Crown Ford (H.K.) Ltd. Unit 1122, 11/F. Did a visual inspection and confirmed that motherboard was ok. Gave a replacement cost of the screen of c. HK$1,500 (+ labour) but suggested that replacing the computer given its age, may be a better long term option, and to use an external monitor temporarily. Given that he does not appear to be a seller of equipment (nor offered to sell a new unit), he seemed gave impartial advice. He charged zero (and even giving a small repair to an A/C power plug for an iBook G4). He generally opens after 2pm.

yoose likes this.

searching Jeff li

Hi,
    I'm searching mobile phone of Jeff Li a his shop is closed with my iMac 24 inches inside + an other hard drive. The landline is not working anymore. Do you have by chance anyway to contact him.

Thanks
    Alain