Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MXZ

Dead Time Capsule

Closed Thread

Dead Time Capsule

Hi,

My time capsule died during the day. I'm assuming it's just to the power supply blowing up due to over heating as this is a (sadly) well known issue. I'm going to call Apple in the morning and see what they can / will do but I'm not hopeful.

Any recommends on a good wireless access point?

How about Linksys or Netgear or D-Link? Have used all of them at some point or the other. Currently on a Linksys Dual Band BGN device...

Register here | Time Capsule Memorial Register

You can try apple, if it is out of warranty it could be hard to get them to help unless you push with the issue and show them just how many websites talk about this issue. (Do a Google search for tons more listings)

May want to talk to Apple VIA one of the Apple Authorized Service Centres in Hong Kong though. They have better connections with Apple to help you. Just shoot them an email.

If Apple doesn't help PM me, I know someone who can fix it.
    Last edited by HKChigger; 19-02-2010 at 09:53 PM.

Hi guys,

Well, just got off the phone to Apple. The guy who took my call basically said what I expected - that it was out of warranty. I told him that this was a known issue and was affecting loads of people, that there were post on Apple's forums and one of the serial numbers was similar to mine.

He put me on hold for a few minutes, then came back to and send that there was a known issue and that they'd do a "one time exception" and replace the unit free of charge.

So that's the time capsule sorted out, but now I have to ask them to extract the disk, which Apple said they aren't supposed to do so they'll have to get permission from Apple to do it...

Still, it's better than the "get stuffed" I expected when I called :-)

Just a follow up...

The Service Provider called Apple to ask if they could open up the Time Capsule and return the disk. Normally the SP needs to send back the original to get credit to pay for the new one. No TC no credit. If the TC has been opened, this is considered physical damage and again, no credit.

So the SP called me back yesterday and said that Apple had told them that they could not open the device. They did however give me the case and contact numbers and suggest that I called Apple to try and persuade them.

The first guy I spoke to basically said the same thing. I told them that I just wanted the data off the disk and if they could let me have it for just a couple of hours, they could have it back again :-)

Anyway, I got put on to his supervisor who said she would speak to some people and call me back shortly. Amazingly she called back within the hour to say that not only could I keep the old disk, I could keep the old TC for 'recovery purposes'. She had called the SP and made them aware of the situation and updated all the various tickets to show that it was all sorted.

Long story short - dead time capsule after 24 months. Free replacement from Apple and was allowed to keep the old unit for recovery. All this and their support was helpful and polite throughout.

Nice one Apple! :-)

MXZ - my TC died about a month ago also, but I had zero luck from Apple getting it replaced, mine was only 18 months old!

Who did you speak too at Apple or which SP did you use to get your replacement? (PM details if you can)

Hi,

It was the Apple hardware line (I'll try and find the number) that did everything. The SP basically sat on their hands and said that I needed to get everything from Apple.

Try ringing again but this time say that this is a known fault with the TC power supply and that it is known to Apple and listed on the forums. They'll trundle off for a few minutes and hopefully get back to you with a supervisor who will approve an 'exceptional warranty'.

Good luck :-)

----

Edit: Specifically on Apple's forums

Last edited by MXZ; 26-02-2010 at 11:03 AM. Reason: clarifying
    emx likes this.

Saw this on Engadget just now:

Apple issuing free repairs or replacements of wonky 2008 Time Capsules

Here is the Apple support page on this: Time Capsule: Does not power on

So if you still have a TC with a serial # between XX807XXXXXX - XX814XXXXXX, Apple are now claiming they will repair or replace for free affected Time Capsules.