Netvigator PC Guard vs. Norton Firewall

Netvigator PC Guard vs. Norton Firewall

I am thinking of subscribing to PC Guard by Netvigator to get Virus/Spyware protection for my new PC. Originally, I planned to buy Norton Internet Security but the PC Guard subscription is much cheaper. Main difference seems that Norton includes a Firewall whereas Netvigator only seems to offer Virus/Spyware protection.

a.) Would PC Guard be sufficient protection or should I install a firewall instead (in which case I might as well install the entire Norton package)

b.) I don't know how well Netvigator Broadband would cope if I installed the Norton package. Has anyone encountered problems running Netvigator through a Norton Firewall?

Get a wireless router (you can still connect via the wired port if you don't want to buy a wireless card).

Most routers have pretty decent firewalls that prevent incoming connections and do a decent job protecting your network (I don't bother with software firewalls @ home or @ work).

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    Get a wireless router (you can still connect via the wired port if you don't want to buy a wireless card).

Most routers have pretty decent firewalls that prevent incoming connections and do a decent job protecting your network (I don't bother with software firewalls @ home or @ work).
    I have a wireless router and card from my old laptop but have not used them with Netvigator because their installation person told me Netvigator does not run with wireless. Did he not tell me the full story?

What router do you have? You should be able to configure set it up as a PPPoE connection and enter your netvigator userid / password in it.

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    What router do you have? You should be able to configure set it up as a PPPoE connection and enter your netvigator userid / password in it.
    I have a Thompson Speed Touch 570 Wireless ADSL router; I'm trying to install it now, if I run into problems I'll post again or try to follow the instructions in this thread http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread7036.html

Wireless modem and router communicate with each other and signal strength is excellent; I provided Netvigator User ID/Password in the set-up but webpages do not come up nor does Netvigator let me log-on when I click on the icon. (It works fine when I switch cables to exclude the router/wireless). I did not find any options in the set-up to establish a PPPoE connection and assume that is the problem; will take a closer look at the set-up again tonight. It seems to be a similar problem to that in the other thread.

You could consider using the free softwares
    http://www.webuser.co.uk/specials/41396.html

I use AVG, ZoneAlarm, SpywareBlaster and Spybot. They all works fine with Netvigator.

No clue how the Thompson ADSL router works. I've been using Linksys / Netgear routers since the last few years and have not had any problems.

Can you attach a screen shot of your router config ( press alt+print screen on the browser window and paste the image into any image editor like pbrush which comes bundled with windows).

Diagnostics says PPPoE_1 connection is 'down' but I am not sure what else I need to do to set it up properly since all I was prompted were Netvigator username/password and entries for 'Access Concentrator' and 'Service Name'. Could this be a cable issue (e.g. do the cables need to be plugged in a certain way?)

WAN configuration was listed as 'down', which is why I pasted the router config listed under that heading:

PPPoE_1
    Connection Type = PPPoE
    kBytes Tx/Rx = 0 / 0
    Username = [email protected]
    Password = ********
    Access Concentrator = Netvigator [was prompted to enter a name and didn't know any better]
    Service Name = Netvigator [same as previous]
    Last Connection Error = None
    Uptime = 00:00:00

IP Connectivity

Local IP Address = Not Configured yet
    Remote IP Address = Not Configured yet
    Other IP Addresses = Not Configured yet
    Primary DNS = Not Configured yet
    Secondary DNS = Not Configured yet
    MTU Size = 1492
    Address Translation = pat
    UnicastPackets Tx/Rx = 0 / 0
    BroadcastPackets Tx/Rx = 0 / 0
    Packets Dropped = 0

PPP
    Username = [email protected]
    Password = ********
    MRU Size = 1492
    Admin. State = up
    Oper. State = down
    Link State = retrying
    LCP State = stopped
    IPCP State = initial
    Retry interval = 10

PPPoE
    Service Name = Netvigator
    Access Concentrator = Netvigator

RELAY

Interface Admin. State = Down: No ETH interface assigned
    PPPoE relay session id = Not assigned
    Relay portlist
    format: ETH Intf (Status) [-> Phonebook Name(Address,QoS [,autoconfigured])]
    1. ETHoA_1 (up) -> PVC_1 (8.35, ubr)
    2. eth0 (up)

I use AntiVir (virus scanner/remover) and Sygate (firewall). Both free. Although I also use the XP firewall and have a firewall in my Linksys router.

A good site to visit would be:

http://majorgeeks.com

Last edited by fuey; 05-01-2006 at 10:42 AM.