Is it wise to buy PC / Laptop in HK?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Yeah, sometimes laptops in those computer centers are cheaper. So once my "greedy emotion" kicks in, it blinds my eye and shuts my brain down. then i will make some wrong decision. my intuition tells me i should laptop in famous electronic stores. There must be some good companies in those computer center. DONT buy it in Tsim Sha Tsui small electronic and camera store (Neon light always on), which often rips off tourists. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi
    But should you have other issues I don't think you would be so successful. I wouldn't be so sure about getting a screen fixed if it went or a motherboard or CPU replaced. In which case is it really worth saving $500? Personally I don't think so but everyone puts a different value on their time.

I recently had a friend who bought a camera in HK on holiday, returned to the UK to find it not working correctly and his warranty, well there is no one in the UK to honour it. £200 down the drain unfortunately.
    But thats my point, check that the manufacturer has a presence and service centre in the U.K or wherever you're from before you buy, should have the details there in the warranty book.

The only big make you'll have problems with is LG as they don't sell laptops there, If you don't even do that as simple research then you only have yourself to blame if and when it goes wrong.

But the question is - is all this risk / research worth the saving? This is obviously a matter of personal opinion and in my opinion is it simply isn't.

Yes, you could find out all the manufacturers that would honour a guarantee overseas, then look at their offerings to see if that meets your criteria and then get prices back home and compare them to HK prices and then make a purchase and enjoy your 'savings'. If I was over here on a couple of weeks holiday I personally wouldn't want to waste a day on research simply to save a few hundred dollars on a laptop.

It is possible but it is a far cry from 'popping out to buy a laptop in HK and making a good saving'.

And of course this all assumes you don't get picked up by customs at the other end and have import / local sales tax applied to your purchase. It has happened to me in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by HKNewBi
    It is possible but it is a far cry from 'popping out to buy a laptop in HK and making a good saving'.

And of course this all assumes you don't get picked up by customs at the other end and have import / local sales tax applied to your purchase. It has happened to me in the past.
    If you're going to buy a laptop anyway then you would of done some research surely, Unless you're one of those suckers with more money than sense and just go to pc world with an open mind and an open wallet. Thats where you'll be suckered into buying some outdated and over priced stock.

I have bought dozens of products from hk and bought it back with me to U.K with no custom charges being paid, obviously you don't take the box etc back with you, take the laptop and the necessary warranty docs etc with you as hand luggage.

Theres not much risk at all involved, Its no different to buying it from a local store back in your home country and the laptop failing, Its covered under warranty and the shop will only refer you to the service centre anyway.

I made a 400 pound saving on my laptop without doing much research, All I wanted was a lightweight centrino and I knew what my budget was, I just walked straight into Mongkok and chose my one played around with it for a bit and was happy with it and just handed over the cash, Its that easy, In and out of the store within half an hour.

There is only one word of warning with regards to chancing it with HM Customs and Excise and that is that they are not as dumb as they look. They research into what is the latest in any product and can distinguish something purchased recently to something purchased last year. I certainly would not risk taking a brand new model notebook back just to save a few hundred dollars.

If you are an HK resident and have an ID card you can claim you are a resident here and therefore no duty to pay on entering the UK. They can, though, still give you a bill which you have to pay in a couple of weeks or negate by leaving the country with said item.

I have had friends that have been collared with work laptops. They have had to get the vat receipts from their employers and forward those to C&E. What a pain in the backside.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay
    There is only one word of warning with regards to chancing it with HM Customs and Excise and that is that they are not as dumb as they look. They research into what is the latest in any product and can distinguish something purchased recently to something purchased last year. I certainly would not risk taking a brand new model notebook back just to save a few hundred dollars.

Or just do what pretty much most people do if they're say returning back to u.k, Get the late flight which means you arrive in London around 5 a.m and voila customs is dead as theres nobody around at that time to collar you!

Savings are usually a lot more than just a few hundred dollars though!

I too have experienced that efficiency which is HM C&E. It's confusing at first as you think you've walked throught the wrong channel then when you exit through to arrivals you keep thinking that someone is about to lay a hand on your shoulder. With the number of international arrivals at that time of the morning you would think that they would show some presence.

I think the two big issues are warranty and price.

Is the warranty world-wide? You'll need to check that. In addition, on laptops, I usually buy the extended screen protection plan since the failure rate on laptop screens can be considerably higher. You may want to consider that extended service and where it could work.

The second issue is price vs. Australia. I'm sorry I'm not up to speed on the current pricing system in Oz, but vs. the US, I did not find any deals on laptops in HK. Generally the systems were cheaper, and the selection greater, in the US given the simple economy of scale of the number of laptop purchasers in the States.

Another, odd thing, is the keyboard. I know the US and UK keyboards are slightly different (can be altered via software) but am not sure about Australia. Minor things, like the @ and the $£ thing being moved around might annoy you a bit.

And finally, I generally hate laptops. I buy a couple a year for my staff and I just hate them. Underpowered and overpriced status symbol toys. that break probably twice as often as desktops. I generally feel about 80% of the people with laptops don't need them. I actually use multiple desktops in my different offices / apartments carrying an external hard disk with me that I plug in when I arrive in a different place. My laptop comes into play on those nights in a hotel or on a plane to watch a movie. Of course your work may necessitate it, but just my two cents.

penguinsix

Laptops over here are more popular due to the fact that homes are a lot smaller and therefore you want to liberate as much space as possible, Same applies with LCD and Plasma t.v's. Its only hardcore gamers over here that usually buy desktops.

As regards to the keyboard you can just get yourself an external one if you really need it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast