Where can I get a Linux PDA in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where can I get a Linux PDA in Hong Kong

I am looking any kind of ARM based Linux PDA e.g. Sharp, Zipit, etc with built-in wifi or any kind of slot for wifi (SD, cardbus, USB, etc). Note that Agenda is from a Hong Kong company (a Vtech sub) but they use the Mips chipset instead of the ARMs.

Thank you for your help.

linux in general

Hi wing..

Did you ever get an answer? Let me know. I am mostly looking for USB linux adaptors for my camera--currently run Ubuntu and Quantian.

Thank you!

Looked at the Fujitsu-Siemens offering? Intel based ..

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll:
    Looked at the Fujitsu-Siemens offering? Intel based ..
    Which one is that? And when you say Intel, do you mean x86 or PXA? I'm probably most interested in the Nokia 770 (or any upcoming newer model) at the moment, although I am still waiting somewhat patiently for someone to actually put out a Linux-based Palm...

Quote Originally Posted by vilaolimpia:
    Hi wing..

Did you ever get an answer? Let me know. I am mostly looking for USB linux adaptors for my camera--currently run Ubuntu and Quantian.

Thank you!
    When you say "USB linux adaptors" are you talking about a USB memory card reader? In theory, almost any cheap'n'nasty card reader should work, but I've had more luck with single-slot (i.e. just an SD reader) rather than multi-slot (SD/CF/XD/MS/etc.) readers...

http://www.fujitsu-siemens.com/produ...ile/handhelds/

Also, as far as WiFi is concerned, take a look at this...

SDIO WiFI Card which should be available in March.

Uh, I hate to tell you, but they're just bog-standard wince PXA PDAs - none of them are Linux devices and there's nothing special about it being an Intel chip - it's just ARM.

I've been active (although I'm now largely retired) in the handheld-Linux community for something like 5 years now, and I have to tell you, if the device doesn't come with Linux, it's probably a dead-end, and if there's no support from the vendor, it's almost certainly a dead-end. Hence the original question being about Linux PDAs - not wince PDAs which you can hack a cut-down, unstable, unsupported Linux onto.

Oh, and I don't know where on earth you got that that card is the first SDIO Wifi card - they've been out for at least a year or two now, hell, Palm even sell one themselves, although they've refused to provide a driver to use it on the Treo... It's possible that it's the first 802.11g card, I guess.

(Sorry - this came out harsh, not sure why)

zipit

I wandered around all the electronics centers (Wanchai, Shamshuipo, Mongkok) for weeks but still failed to locate "zipit" which is a Linux based PDA and which has been hacked (both hardware and software) to do more than just instant messaging. It is made in China. Apparently, people in Hong Kong are biased against anything made in China for some reasons that I have a hard time to understand.

I love to get a hand on a cheaper version of zipit lookalike and modify it. Any help will be appreciated.What I need is a portable/mobile Linux based unit with built-in wifi, USB, in/out audio and a reasonable display which can meaningful video. Keyboard is desirable but optional if touch screeen is available.

Zaurus

Have you tried to get a quote for something like a Zaurus SL-C1000 from pricejapan.com? Though the Zaurus have neither audio in nor built-in WiFi... you'll need to add a CF WiFi card for that, probably for around 5500 yen

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast