Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MrMoo
  • 1 Post By jgl
  • 1 Post By MrMoo

Best Optical Webcam

Closed Thread

Best Optical Webcam

What is the best optical webcam on the market?

I have been pointed to the Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 but looking for more knowledgable pointers.

Would consider reasonably priced Industrial CCD USB units also.

This is an interesting and quite comprehensive resource for webcam reviews... according to which it's the Webcam Pro 9000 (vs the Quickcam) which is the one to aim for.

Cowboy Frank's Webcam Reviews

FWIW, I did buy a Quickcam Pro 9000, and it's miles better than the more generic webcams I've seen.

Boris likes this.

Point Grey hit the news recently showcasing a USB 3 camera, otherwise they do a good range of industrial cameras that are very cheap, i.e. sub US$1,000.

USB 2.0 Imaging Cameras for Industrial, Digital, and Machine Vision

Boris likes this.

Any idea what the quality on those cameras is like? I've been thinking about a high quality camera for a while.

The USB3 thing seems to be a bit of a solution in search of a problem. I would assume that local transfer rates (USB2 vs USB3) are not a limiting factor in image quality. You're going to hit LAN/WAN transfer limits before hitting any sort of limitation imposed by USB.

Last edited by jgl; 09-03-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    The USB3 thing seems to be a bit of a solution in search of a problem. I would assume that local transfer rates (USB2 vs USB3) are not a limiting factor in image quality. You're going to hit LAN/WAN transfer limits before hitting any sort of limitation imposed by USB.
    The bandwidth is needed for "HD", the bandwidth of USB2 is only 400mb/s, raw HDTV is about 1.5Gb/s for 1080p. Obviously companies normally compress HDTV to shit but here you save on the latency required to encode and decode the signal, very important for real time image processing.
    jgl likes this.

Good feedback thanks. USB3 seems the way to go and any up to knowledge forthcoming on real time image processing would be good.

Doing a little reading on USB3 seems maybe I would need a rethink on a new Mobo ? Seems my available PCI slot has peak transfer rate of 533 MB/s My PCI- Ex 16 ( might ??? ) be suitable but that's stuffed with a high spec graphics card.

I have a Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-US2H Mobo - is that thinking correct on the PCI issue ? Nothing specific in the manual.

Last edited by Boris; 11-03-2010 at 09:49 AM.

I think you would have to experiment for a long time with the hardware, it would appear unlikely to be able to do too much real time processing on that amount of data without a significant amount of hardware and some drastic shortcuts in software. Many algorithms today work very well on low resolution images, are you using OpenCV?

What we are prototyping now is suitable with whats in the market but I thank you for the heads up about USB3 - didn't know about it and its the perfect fit.

Out today and found the USB3 mobos in abundance - even if some are being a little naughty on price. There is a nice Gigabyte AMD board ( also like for Intel ) that has support for the new 6 cores, so if the x4 isn't enough we don't have to scrap all the hard work. Pair that with them having a pair of PCI -Ex x16 slots so we can tie in the Graphics through SLI and the box is a go'er for less than 5.5k............ nice.

The software is a join of many PD modules, and we have a nice guy in India going to do the stitching together. Going to scrap the webcam idea and go with a feed through a digital camera that will give me 8 megapixels without a cheat sheet ( the WC is on 2 with 8 by cheat sheet ) and we can then plug in whatever better unit falls of the back of the next lorry.

Oh and for the side project - ( I have been talking Lasers ) - got a GREAT laser in SSP this morning.

From now until the Rugby Sevens I shall now be playing the mad scientist !!!!!

Microsoft Lifecam Cinema