Like Tree1Likes

Laptop - Sony v Acer v HP

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I second Dell. Their designs these days are pretty nice - not as pretty as Sony but IMHO nicer than Asus and Acer and HP.

I don't know about DELL.. but my old DELL get pretty damn hot after turning it on for 30 min...

but i might be because it's old... =)

Based just on heat, pretty much every laptop gets hot.

This website measures heat in their reviews: Laptop Reviews - Notebook Reviews and Netbook Computer News & Reviews

I've been looking into buying a laptop recently and I think the Dell lines are pretty good. The Dell Studio range has a decent set up and also the Inspirons are not bad at all.

However I think the prices in HK are actually quite a bit more expensive.

Been comparing the prices of both Dells and Asus's in HK compared to the UK, USA and Canada and actually HK prices work out more expensive. This does take into consideration the sales taxes in the other countries.

Also with the other countries there are always various promotions such as mail in rebates and other discounts.

Another thing in HK is the lack of choice of laptops, in the other countries you have a bigger choice of models and configurations.

Also, SXC's suggestion of checking out NBR is a good idea. The forums there are a wealth of information.

I'd probably vote for Lenovo or Toshiba if I was looking for something that would last long term (5+ years).

Also, I cant deal with the shiny screens and Lenovo is one of the few manufacturers who offer the matte finish LCD screens.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    I've been looking into buying a laptop recently and I think the Dell lines are pretty good. The Dell Studio range has a decent set up and also the Inspirons are not bad at all.

However I think the prices in HK are actually quite a bit more expensive.

Been comparing the prices of both Dells and Asus's in HK compared to the UK, USA and Canada and actually HK prices work out more expensive. This does take into consideration the sales taxes in the other countries.

Also with the other countries there are always various promotions such as mail in rebates and other discounts.

Another thing in HK is the lack of choice of laptops, in the other countries you have a bigger choice of models and configurations.

Also, SXC's suggestion of checking out NBR is a good idea. The forums there are a wealth of information.
    Just wanna mention that I think it's more pricey in HK is because there is no sales tax... don't know about UK though... but Canada and US have about 10% sales tax depends on which province or states u bought it from i think...

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Why on earth would you want to buy a dell for?

Also if they're your suppliers for your work p.c then ask your I.T buyer if you can get a discount if ordered through the company.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Why on earth would you want to buy a dell for?

Also if they're your suppliers for your work p.c then ask your I.T buyer if you can get a discount if ordered through the company.
    I don't really mind Dells, been using them for years. They do the job for me. Also people on the NBR forums have also recommended Dells to me for what I need them for.

Unfortunately we don't use Dell's at work. Its a mix of Lenovo's and HPs here and in any case we don't buy laptops at work.

If you want a branded laptop - why not a mac?

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    If you want a branded laptop - why not a mac?
    because we are PC ppl =)