hong kong based web proxy/vpn?

Closed Thread

hong kong based web proxy/vpn?

Hi,

I'm trying to watch the tvb streams on http://my.tvb.com and since it's restricted to only hong kong, was wondering if anyone knows of a paid(reliable and fast) proxy service I can subscribe to in order to bypass the restrictions. I will be watching the stream from the west coast in the US.

If you have any feedback of vpn providers based in hong kong, that would help too. A search on the forum revealed a some results for vpn providers giving a US ip address for example, but I would need one issued out of hong kong.

thanks in advance

There are three suggestions in this thread: http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread48793.html

I've signed up with witopia, but I don't find the connection very useful for streaming from the tvb site since it constantly pauses. I was wondering if anyone else has tried other services besides the ones mentioned in the link since most of the thread dealt with vpns with servers in the US to bypass the chinese firewall. I would try the vps thing, but I'm not too familiar with hosting setup or know which hosting company to go for in terms of best peering, bandwidth, etc. Any other input gladly appreciated. thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by d1deez:
    I've signed up with witopia, but I don't find the connection very useful for streaming from the tvb site since it constantly pauses. I was wondering if anyone else has tried other services besides the ones mentioned in the link since most of the thread dealt with vpns with servers in the US to bypass the chinese firewall. I would try the vps thing, but I'm not too familiar with hosting setup or know which hosting company to go for in terms of best peering, bandwidth, etc. Any other input gladly appreciated. thanks again
    contact the guy who runs 12vpn, he seems to be very responsive. he's based in china, but it seems their offices are in hk.

they may be able to offer some sort of hk ip address for you.

orientalvpn.com is good. HK server, good for us honkers.

I think Overplay.net has a HK VPN, along with VPNs in about a dozen other countries as well. About $70HK a month.

If you have a friend in HK with a DD-WRT compatible router, or other router with VPN features you can get them to allow you to connect through their router.

My friend does this to watch TVB via the PPTP feature.

(Google: DD-WRT PPTP)