Like Tree2Likes

PCCW Boardband + Apple Airport Extreme

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question PCCW Boardband + Apple Airport Extreme

Hi there... anyone out there ever tried to buy your own wireless router to pair it with PCCW's broadband? The PCCW wireless modem is way too expensive, so I thought I'd get my own and hook it up myself. I've done it many times before back home in US.. dunno why it's not working here! Any ideas?

Works fine for me and many other people. Mine happens to be a Linksys, but any brand will work.

But in general you must use PCCW's DSL modem and then connect your wireless router behind that. I seem to remember one or two people reporting success with other DSL modems, but it seems a lot of hassle and not guaranteed.

You need to set the router to PPPoE, and to login using your full email address:
    <whatever>@netvigator.com
    and password.

Last edited by PDLM; 05-04-2010 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks! That's exactly what I did... I have no clue why it's not working!!!

Does it work if you connect your PC directly to the DSL modem and login on the PC?

yep! When I connect directly to the modem, it's fine. ...any ideas?

Have you cloned you PC's MAC address on to the router?

And when you connect the PC to the router you do just have it set to connect automatically by DHCP - you're not trying to run a PPPoE connection from the PC?

And you can, of course, connect to the router setup wirelessly?

I'm sure you probably tried, but make sure the info is typed in properly, reset both modems and refresh the IP address.

Gingles - Are you using a Mac or a PC with the Apple Airport Extreme?

Have you setup the wireless properly on both the Apple Airport Extreme and the PC/Mac you want to connect to? (you can plug ethernet into the Airport Extreme to configure it before jumping to wireless)

You will also need the latest AirPort Utility:
    AirPort Utility 5.5.1 for Windows

AirPort Utility 5.5.1 for Mac

If you post more details about what system you are using, perhaps we can help more efficiently.

Thanks Guys!! I am going to try all your suggestions again later today... I must be missing something. Got swamped yesterday so didn't have a chance to test again.. *sigh*

HI There,

i am not sure whether you managed to solve the problem or not. I am having the same problem myself. The ISP service works with my PC but NOT with my Macintosh nor Airport Extreme. I called Apple and they suspect that it has something to do with the Media Access Controller of the modem that was provided by PCCW/Netvigator. But when I called PCCW/Netvigator, they say that their modem is just a common modem and there is nothing to configure.

I have spent full 24 hours to rectify this, short of buying a new Router (fingers crossed, hopes it works).

Please please, someone with the same problem, if you have managed to solve the problem, please kindly advise.

Thanks!

Laurie

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast