New Macbook Pro, US or HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Macbook Pro, US or HK?

I will be moving to HK in a month and am planning to buy a new Macbook Pro. Should I buy it in the States or wait to buy it in HK? Are there differences between the two? I plan to return to the states eventually/within the expected lifetime of the laptop (if that makes a difference). Please advise, thanks!

Not much difference except you'll get a power cord that fits HK sockets and with mine it also came with a North American adapter that can be changed very quickly. There's not much wiggle room in Apple pricing, you can go to the Apple HK online store and see for yourself. They are here and shipping within 24 hours so it's really up to you.

The HK version will have a Chinese/English keyboard too, don't forget about that (doesn't actually make a big difference, but if you plan selling it later in the USA it might put your buyer off)

There's not much wiggle room in Apple pricing, you can go to the Apple HK online store and see for yourself. They are here and shipping within 24 hours so it's really up to you.
    Every time I bought something from the online store it was delivered from Singapore. I ordered OS X and another time some iPod armband. Maybe that's not the case with MacBooks though, no idea.
    Last edited by 100LL; 22-04-2010 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    The HK version will have a Chinese/English keyboard too, don't forget about that (doesn't actually make a big difference, but if you plan selling it later in the USA it might put your buyer off)
    Every Mac Laptop keyboard I have bought in the last 10 years in Hong Kong was in English. (even the HK online store doesn't have them as an option, in English or Chinese Apple store online)

Full-size backlit keyboard with 78 (U.S.) or 79 (ISO) keys, including 12 function keys and 4 arrow keys (inverted “T” arrangement)
    Seems you would have to specify you actually wanted a Chinese/English keyboard layout, as English would come by default.

the only advantages i can see getting it in the usa would be "free (after a lengthy mail-in rebate)" crappy bundled inkjet printers or software. maybe even interest-free financing depending on the chain.

I agree with euromixguy

probably you will save on US taxes, it may be cheaper here in HK.

Get it here. some of the stores have a little wiggle-room on price (I got about a 5% discount on mine). Having the HK plug is a definite plus. No problem with the keyboard - they come english as standard.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ008:
    the only advantages i can see getting it in the usa would be "free (after a lengthy mail-in rebate)" crappy bundled inkjet printers or software. maybe even interest-free financing depending on the chain.
    Hong Kong has the same promotion though.

Link

What about the warranty? Is it a worldwide warranty (the one sold in the US / HK?). Is Applecare (the extended warranty) world wide? Sometimes items have a region-specific warranty policy but I don't know if that is the case with Apple.

Only other issue is the DVD player in the US version will be region locked to region 1. Not sure of the DVD player in the HK version. Of course these are somewhat configurable by certain types of software.

The DVD player has a regional code, for the HK version. However, you can play all DVDs with VLC Player, which doesn't care about any regions.

The HK-plug can be bought in the computer centers over here for little money.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast