Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fenix2

calling "System Admins".

Closed Thread

calling "System Admins".

Recently installed a SPI based firewall and to my surprise, it has blocked over 13,400 packets in the past 24 hours, is this number normal compared to those you guys use in the corporate world?

I am only on a home ADSL line and it's a dynamic IP,at first I thought the culprit might be P2P but with that turned off for over 24 hours and line reset to grab another IP, I would think the random port + packet attempting to get into my network would be lowered, based off the IP look up on some of the more common IPs attempting to gain access, most of them are from China, wonder if it's uncle sam aka "uncle wong" trying to do it's thing.

It's normal.
    You may want to take a look at this, you'll be blocking even more of those nasty packets..!
    PeerBlock – Peerblock Site

To me it seems low.
    particularly if you have been using bittorrent.

Maybe you did the download very fast, but still overnight, just 13000 packets. Too low.

ah ok so this is normal, 48,000 packets dropped from time of this post past 24 hours, peak hour now I guess, just weird that my firewall is picking up so much random jitter..

Apart from the random garbage, probably some kid bored out of his mind looking for some network hole to intrude, I get occasionally what appears to be a DOS attacks but not too many to worry about, after all, I am on PCCW's network....

I am being paranoid, uncle "wong" is out to get me

if that serves as a reference at work we drop 147000 packets per IP per day based on the last 56 hour sample,

On our other site we drop about 27,000 packets per IP per day.

justsomebody2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    if that serves as a reference at work we drop 147000 packets per IP per day based on the last 56 hour sample,

On our other site we drop about 27,000 packets per IP per day.
    Just the info I was looking for, Thanks.