Sharing files in HK/China?

Closed Thread

Sharing files in HK/China?

im looking for a good service to share files easily between HK, China, and US. We used to use FTP servers, but I find them slow and not as featured compared to things like DropBox.

I was wondering, since China blocks so many services....Does anyone recommend or use a service between HK and China?

I need something with large capacity (maybe 50-100 GB), and features like browsing/viewing via web browsers, with easy automated sharing/syncing on desktops.

If it had more advanced features like multi-user accounts, or access restrictions (based on user account) it would be even better.

Any ideas?
    Again...it has to be something that works in China....

noone?

any thoughts?

what kind of upload are we talking about here? I did a project a while back between office in HK and GZ and used VPN to connect the two to share resources, problem is not really the system as those are cheap compared to the bandwidth used.

Another question is how big are the files you will be pulling across this network? better yet, how much data are we talking about on a per month basis? we mostly used local storage for large files and only central server for files that needed global access, we used DFS to accomplish this while we replicate the server with large files based on a after office hour schedule.

If the bandwidth used will be high, then it may be better to just setup this system yourself rather then outsourcing it due to cost.
    Lease line with high upload bandwidth if you need to pull large files during busy hours will cost quite a bit.

As for a service provider, I am not sure as I have not outsourced this kind of project before.

Another possibility is rent rackspace + bandwidth from a datacenter and store your server there, less for you to monitor other then the server itself but less control.

I'm no IT expert but why don't you just develop YouSendIt accounts for fast service. You have to pay of course but you could trial this for a month to see how it goes.

Anyway pulling stuff in and out of China goes through 5 ports I think for the whole of china (maybe wrong about this) so it's always going to be slow.

We looked at the major large file sharing sites a while back and the freebees were always inaccessable in China. We tried both the Basecamp Grouphub and Central Desktop. Both allow multiple user accounts (paid), and access control but problem was always China end. Both down and uploads took forever. Seems all traffic from China faced serious delays in US. So not perfect and hellish frustrating but was closest to doing the job we wanted back then.
    Posted via Mobile Device