Like Tree8Likes

Google Chrome

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Google Chrome

I just downloaded Google Chrome and I like it...but...there doesn't seem to be a way of quickly accessing previously visited sites by using that little pointy arrow thing at the end of the address bar that you get with IE. Am I missing something, or do I really have to start typing in the address every time??

You can't search from the drop box like IE (Or at least i don't know how to do it). But you can open a new blank tab and will have a list of all the recent page you visit.

Hmmm. Yeah, I like getting recent pages on the blank tab, but that seems more 'work' (hardly but you know what I mean) than having that drop down bit - close a window, open a new tab, and then click on the page you want. And actually, the blank tab will only show a limited number. So, if it's a page I don't use very often it won't be on there.

I was sure there must be a way that I just hadn't figured out yet. Serious design flaw I think!

It's not a design flaw... Google can't make their browser exactly like explorer, or that would just be copying...

I use chrome, and I highly recommend it.

You don't have to close a window to open a new tab!

EDIT: The button on the far right 'Customise and control Google Chrome' brings up a menu which has a 'History' option. Clicking that will open a new tab that contains a pretty extensive list of websites that you have previously visited, and it even shows a time stamp for each page visited!

Also I just learnt that there is an option to open an 'incognito' window in which any website that you visit will not be logged in the browser's history.

Last edited by Dreadnought; 28-04-2010 at 11:29 AM.
    ArKay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreadnought:
    You don't have to close a window to open a new tab!
    No I know - I'm not (quite) that technologically challenged! But if I'd finished what I was doing in one window and wanted to open a new tab so I could easily access recent pages then I would close the current window. Easier in IE where you can drop down from the current address and access a recent page that way.

Does that make sense?? I know what I mean in my own little head at least...

On a Mac: Apple Key + Y

Brings up history in a new tab instantly.

You can of course just click on the History menu item and you'll find Recently Close & Most Visited.

ArKay likes this.

EDIT: The button on the far right 'Customise and control Google Chrome' brings up a menu which has a 'History' option. Clicking that will open a new tab that contains a pretty extensive list of websites that you have previously visited, and it even shows a time stamp for each page visited!
    Oh, ok - thanks for that.

I just learnt that there is an option to open an 'incognito' window in which any website that you visit will not be logged in the browser's history.
    Yes, knew that. Think I read an explanation for it somewhere that talked about using it if you wanted to buy a surprise gift for someone, or plan a surprise party or something. My instant thought however was that a lot of married blokes must now be very happy that they can hide certain sites from their wives!

In the address bar if you start typing an address in your history, Chrome will suggest it and you can arrow down to select it.

Also if you want to do a google search, just type your search terms in the address bar and press enter, and google will search for the terms.

Quote Originally Posted by ArKay:
    No I know - I'm not (quite) that technologically challenged! But if I'd finished what I was doing in one window and wanted to open a new tab so I could easily access recent pages then I would close the current window. Easier in IE where you can drop down from the current address and access a recent page that way.

Does that make sense?? I know what I mean in my own little head at least...
    Haha, yes I get it now!

sxc - That is obvious, but requires more work, so to speak. I guess what we are looking for is a shortcut to the browsing history.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast