Fast, Cheap and reliable internet that is NOT PCCW

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fast, Cheap and reliable internet that is NOT PCCW

For reasons that I care not to talk about much (long story) I am very upset with PCCW and would rather not have their internet service anymore since my contract with them is up now.

I am looking for suggestions people have for fast, cheap and reliable internet from another provider. Can anybody offer advice on where to get it from?

I know cheap is a relative term but to put it in perspective, my salary is not the typical expat teacher salary, but rather about half of it.

I also am not picky if it is a wired internet through a modem or if it is a USB thumb that some places like 3 has.

Any suggestions on who is best for whichever reason would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!!!

fast, cheap and reliable??????????? No such thing.

What do you call cheap?

I pay about $120 a month. I think that is cheap. It's reliable and reasonably fast.

HTC. 6 month contract.

$120 for me is cheap...

As I said, cheap is all relative - a reflection on one's budget. In hindsight, I should have mentioned a price range... I'm going to say somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 to $250

And fast, cheap and reliable might be wishful thinking, but 2 out of 3 ain't bad as well

havent used this but have a look, its within in your set range.

HGC Broadband

i posted about hkbn for 99 bux - 2 yr contract
    http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/thread67359.html

their site
    https://apply.hkbn.net/mgm/eng/mgm_nc.jsp

cheers

Using HKBN with no complaints - The only time I had an connection issue was in the 1st week of signup and that was resolved over the phone with a living person.

They give you a set-top box with 18(?) channels, similar to NowTV - but you can access more channels on their website so opted out of that.

- Home tel number (used mainly for outgoing IDD calls) was only +HKD15/mth extra.
    - bundled with wifi/separate fax number (which is sent through as an email)

Last edited by hkken569; 29-04-2010 at 12:43 AM.

I saw HKBN and really liked what I saw, but their site says they are not in my area at this time (which is amazing to me). I live in City One, which was surprising that they didn't have service here yet since I keep seeing them advertise their service outside of the City One MTR station

Fast, Cheap, Reliable, pick 2 only. You can't have all 3. So be realistic.

If you can get a circuit from PCCW there about 10 ISPs that can use that copper. And NO they are not reselling PCCW service, they just use their copper lines.

Sorry I meant HGC not HTC.

Quote Originally Posted by hkken569:
    Using HKBN with no complaints - The only time I had an connection issue was in the 1st week of signup and that was resolved over the phone with a living person.

They give you a set-top box with 18(?) channels, similar to NowTV - but you can access more channels on their website so opted out of that.

- Home tel number (used mainly for outgoing IDD calls) was only +HKD15/mth extra.
    - bundled with wifi/separate fax number (which is sent through as an email)

+1, but the common verdict is get the broadband, but don't get the TV.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast