Like Tree4Likes

PCCW Internet connection for 5-6 months

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question PCCW Internet connection for 5-6 months

Hi, I would stay in Hong Kong till end of September in an apartment in old building where I am told only PCCW connection can be availed. However here it seems that PCCW has a contractual offer only and for a minimum period of 1.5 years which sounds absurd, but true. Can anybody help me out with this, that is, if I want a short term (5-6 months) broadband connection in my apartment, how I can get it? If anyone already have a connection but is about to move out of HK now, he/she may transfer the connection to me, I guess!

Please help me with this.
    (I was told that even the internet Dongle comes with a long term contract!)

Thanks!

PCCW have a monthly plan with no contract. But you will have to pay about $398/month, a $300 connection fee (but no disconnection fee), and you are limited to 200 hours a month.

kbal likes this.

In the Lair of the Village Idiot's Apprenctice

kickass mobile broadband

You can pick up a rechargeable SIM from 3, or better yet buy their Internet stick, which comes with a free $68 SIM. Maximum monthly cost is capped at $298.

There is a detailed description in the Computers section.

kbal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    PCCW have a monthly plan with no contract. But you will have to pay about $398/month, a $300 connection fee (but no disconnection fee), and you are limited to 200 hours a month.
    Hi BDW, Thanks for the info...but I could not locate this scheme in Netvigator website. Can you kindly send me a link?

Thanks in advance.

Netvigator - Service Plan

The 8MB Single User Plan at the bottom of the table.

The installation fee is Item 1, here: Netvigator - Service Plan

Quote Originally Posted by kombuchakid:
    You can pick up a rechargeable SIM from 3, or better yet buy their Internet stick, which comes with a free $68 SIM. Maximum monthly cost is capped at $298.

There is a detailed description in the Computers section.
    Would not recommend 3 especially if you're doing streaming or regular downloads. Very unstable connection.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Netvigator - Service Plan

The 8MB Single User Plan at the bottom of the table.

The installation fee is Item 1, here: Netvigator - Service Plan
    Hi PDLM,

The 8MB single user plan has a minimum contract period of 1.5 years which is not suitable for me as I need it only for 6 months.

Thanks,
    KBal

No, those are the "rack rates": you pay them (and an installation fee) if you don't wish to make a minimum commitment.

8MB with a commitment comes in at about $190/month, unlimited usage, and installation fee waived.

If you do the sums then the break-even point is about 8 months:
    No commitment: $300 + 10 * $398 = $3398
    Commitment: $190 *18 + $3420

So if you need it for 10 months or more then you're better off taking the 18 month plan and just paying the rest of the period when you cancel.

Last edited by PDLM; 04-05-2010 at 05:49 PM.
    kbal likes this.

PDLM is correct. The 8MB single plan has no minimum contract. You can see on the service plan page the asterisks (*), carrots (^), and hash (#) signs on all the plans above it which refer to minimum terms. But the 8MB single plan has none of these restrictions.

I know for sure because I had this plan for a while when I was not sure if I would be leaving HK soon. The 200 hour limit was a pain and I had to monitor my usage carefully. As soon as I confirmed Im staying, I switched over to a contract.

kbal likes this.

That is good to know. When I called up PCCW Netvigator the sales people on the phone (I called several times and talked to several people) all INSISTED that they have a minimum contract. I stated clearly that I am willing to pay more for no contract but they said none was available. Lying through their teeth because of quotas I suppose?

What about telephone lines? I wanted a PCCW telephone line and once again they said minimum 12 months contract at HKD110 per month (but they will refund me 2 months' fee, strangely enough). I wanted to get a phone line for 3 months only though...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast