Buying an Acer laptop in HK

Buying an Acer laptop in HK

Hi all...
    I'll be in HK next week on a quick biz trip, and thinking very seriously about buying my next notebook there.

I've done my research and the Acer TravelMate 3000 fits the bill almost perfectly. Locally, Acer Australia will honour the warranty. So now it just comes down to how much cheaper they are in HK compared to Australia, because I can also get a bit of a discount from someone I know in Acer here.

So, can anyone point me to Web sites for some stores (probably in Wanchai or Mongkokg, by the looks of previous postings here) where I could check their prices and determine if the local discount is really worth it?

Thanks,

David

David

Good choice of Laptop, But the problem you may get though is that not all the shops will be able to supply it with english windows, I had that problem a while back when looking at Acers.

I'm away from my price list at the moment so I'll get back to you on the price out here.

Thanks mate... Core Duo version is still a coupla months away, at least locally, and even so it's got stuff I don't need (inbuilt webcam), so while the Dual Core chip would be great, the price difference will be at least A$500 basewd on rrp, so if I can grab the TM3000 (TM3002WTCi, to be precise) now for an even lower price, then I'm sorted.

OS doesn't worry me as I have plenty of access to English edition XP.

David

The OS is one thing but I have found that drivers are the issue with notebooks and laptops.
    There is an ACER shop in Wanchai Computer Centre 1st floor directly ahead of you as you get off the escalator.

A, good point, DiscoBay -- if the HK prices end up looking right, maybe I'd better download the relevant drivers from Acer's local Web site before I go.

Any leads, anyone?

My flight to HK leaves Sydney first thing Tuesday AM, so I'm really hoping someone can advise of a Web site for any decent Acer dealer so I can get an idea of prices and if I should hit the streets in my meage spare time (am in HK for just a one day biz conference, then back to Sydney the next monring) or go with a local TM3000 with "mates rates" discount... even if someone knows of a shop where they speak good English with a name I can look up on the Web, I'm prepared to quickly phone them...

Thanks!

David

David

From the Acer HK website.

Vision Technology Corp. Ltd
    16/F, Southeast Industrial Building, 611-619 Castle Peak Road, Tsuen Wan, Hong Kong.
    Tel. 3164 2218

Official Acer Dealer, So give them a call for a price.

My price list doesn't include the 3000 so couldn't get you a price, Sorry.

Also try these guys

Rm 1607, Wing Hing Industrial Building, 83-93 Chai Wan Kok Street, Tsuen Wan, NT, Hong Kong.
    Tel: (852) 2317 4738, These guys are the official Acer shop in HK.

Last edited by jimbo; 26-02-2006 at 08:48 PM.

Thanks mate, will give 'em a tingle...