How to stop Windows 7 Updating?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How to stop Windows 7 Updating?

I have a Sony Vaio running Windows 7. It more or less works (not great I have to say) but recently it's been driving me crazy by refusing to connect to the internet on wifi.

The computer connects to a (working) wifi network but no internet is flowing through to the computer.

Anyway, I have 'fixed' the problem several times by restoring the vaio to an earlier point in time before one of Window's "critical updates" and it seem to help, I can connect and see the internet for a few minutes .... just about until the 'automatic update' finishes reinstalling the damn update and the problem reoccurs!!!!

Has anyone else had this problem?

I'm not a techy and I use a mac most of the time so I'm struggling with this one.

Any ideas?

Can I turn off the automatic updating? I looked for this but cannot figure out how to do it.

Is there something else going on you up-to-date windows folks know about?!

THanks.

Google is your friend

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=stop+windows+7+update&aq=f&aqi=g4g-m1&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=]stop windows 7 update - Google Search[/ame]

Thanks. I managed to stop it updating now but it has not solved my problem. This time the restore has not given me back my internet. It's really strange - the network connections is saying that I am connected to the internet, but NOTHING that uses the internet (skype, IE, firefox, outlook, yahoo etc) thinks it is connected so I really don't know what to do.

simple

Perhaps you can try to restore manufacturer default?
    Remember to back up all your data tho...

maybe you just fix the problem instead of avoiding it?

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    Sure...sounds so easy when you put it like that. It's not.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by Fenix2:
    Are you volunteering, or are you just here to help on the snide comment front?

Windows 7 does not properly support the WPA, WPA2 encryptions (either AES or TKIP). You may have to drop the encryption down to WEP to achieve connectivity.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by reddbod:
    Windows 7 does not properly support the WPA, WPA2 encryptions (either AES or TKIP). You may have to drop the encryption down to WEP to achieve connectivity.

Hope this helps
    Thanks. My encryption is WEP (but I will be careful not to upgrade it now I know) but it does not explain why the darn thing suddenly stopped working.

I'm currently (vvvvvery slowly) backing up my files before trying a complete system restore as recommended above.....if that fails then off to the repair centre!

Quote Originally Posted by reddbod:
    Is that true? I find it staggering.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast