Like Tree10Likes

BEWARE - Facebooks new feature

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I was very surprised to see just how many applications that my friends are using have access to my data. Apparrently you don't even need to sign up to use these yourself for them to access your info.
    Have a look in 'Application Settings' and use the drop-down box to select 'Allowed' and take a look.

I don't have an 'allowed' option in the drop box. THere is Authorised, Allowed to Post, Granted Additional Permissions and a few others. I have no idea what they do, but I agree, there seem to be a bunch of things I have never heard of in there! Any idea how I get rid of them?

You simply disallow all access from applications to any of your data. That's a single check-box (or at least it was last time I looked).

I had to go through each one individually on the 'allowed to post' section.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Another mountain in a mole hill *sigh*

If people are that paranoid about their personal information, dont post it online. If you do, chances are it will leak or it will be shared whether you like it or not.

As for this new feature, its actually pretty neat:
    Facebook’s Instant Personalization Is the Real Privacy Hairball

HC
    I hope that the people getting prosecuted due to their personal information being abused and taken out of context are people who are privacy exhibitionists like yourself.

Some privacy tips

How to manage privacy settings or delete your account.

How to delete your Facebook account - Telegraph

Something that's puzzled me...

What happens if say you appear in a photo with friend A taken by friend B (i.e 4am in a bar totally trashed...)

So friend B uploads the pic to FB

Friend A sets her settings to share any pics he/she is tagged in.
    whereas you set yours to the opposite (i.e not to share when you are tagged)

If you share the same circle of friends would they not see the pic anyway via Friend A?

Last edited by jimbob70; 15-05-2010 at 06:27 PM.

They will be able to see the picture if they have access to the album, but they will not be able to search for pictures tagged with your name.