Netgear modem and Netvigator

Closed Thread

Netgear modem and Netvigator

Question for the networking geniuses out there - we've just signed up to get our broadband connection through netvigator. We're then trying to sit a netgear DG834GT router / adsl modem onto the connection to share it around several computers (not even wirelessly - just by ethernet at the moment). However the problem is that whereas we can get the computers to individually connect, we can't persuade the router to connect through the provided nec modem.

This worked fine for us in the UK as the router was also our modem, but it doesn't seem to work with the HK system!

Any clues - many thanks for any help you can offer

The problem might be that Netvigator doesn't like too many MAC addresses connecting on the same line in a short period. I have my Linksys router set up with the same MAC address as my PC (most routers have an option to do this). You also need to enter the login id and password on the router config obviously.

My netvigator setup has at tone time had four computers connected, two of them wirelessly and of the two by ethernet cable one was an iMac. How many do you have connected to your router?

Have you configured the router with your login, as a PPPoE connection?

The router would use a scheme called NAT which would mean that only the routers address is exposed to netvigator / your broadband connection. You can have as many devices as you need behind the router (internal network).

Question netgear

we are trying to connect 2 computers to the netgear,none wirelessly. We have configured the netgear to use the password and it will not connect. we have no problems if using the computer alone. Wondering if we need to mad spoof and if so how, also wondering if it is because the router is trying to be a modem. any suggestions?

Have you followed the steps in the manual?

Download it here

Page 38 should walk you through it .. section 3.10 onwards

Don't forget to connect the Netgear to your Netvigator supplied modem... on the ethernet port which works for your computer.

Many thanks for all your help - our problem seemed to centre on the fact that we were trying to connect a modem to another modem and couldn't persuade the modem on the router to disable itself. No matter - gave up in the end and have bought a shiny new router fom Wan Chai!