Like Tree1Likes

MacBook Pro

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Starting point:
    2.4GHz - 12,988 + Upgrade 1,050 = 14,038
    2.53GHz - 14,088 + Upgrade 350 = 14,438
    Difference - HK$400

Buying a 3rd party drive or external drive is possibly slightly cheaper. The poster is at school and is likely to take good care of the machine (otherwise there is applecare or insurance). He does seem keen to maximize the speed and storage of his machine so let him.

I still use my MacBook Black from early '08 since then Snow Leopard came out (I upgraded), the computer works fine, with 2.4GHz, 250GB HDD and 4GB RAM. I use it for both work and pleasure (v large macro-laden spreadsheets, photo editing, plus general work).

I have also used macs since the LC475 and have found with them that getting more RAM and space if you can afford it, allows your machine to be useful for longer before support and upgrades cease. (I have converted my old iBook G4 to YDL to keep it speedy).

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    I still use my MacBook Black from early '08 since then Snow Leopard came out (I upgraded), the computer works fine, with 2.4GHz, 250GB HDD and 4GB RAM. I use it for both work and pleasure (v large macro-laden spreadsheets, photo editing, plus general work).
    Exactly my point, 90%+ of people could buy a 3 year old computer for a fraction of the cost and still use it quite comfortably for all they do and for several more years but they want the bright new shiny Ferrari...

Toys, toys toys

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    The laptop will most likely be dead or in such a state as you wouldn't want it anymore by the time it can't run the next OS that's if it hasn't been dropped or stolen by that time. 90%+ of computer users don't even begin to need the processing power they have anyway.
    What world do you live in where laptops are dropped or stolen with such regularity? I've had the same laptop for years at a time, rarely drop it and keep an eye on it to prevent theft! You seem to think the OP is very careless and stupid, which seems rather rude actually.

Well as you well know, I worked in education where laptops are stolen, lost or dropped on the ground on a weekly basis if not more. I base my observations on statistics and personal experience of students with laptops.

As usual, you can't see past the tip of your nose and the crevice of your belly button. Oh and if you think that losing or having a laptop stolen makes someone stupid or careless then I believe you are the one being very rude. I guess nothing ever happens to Ms perfect...

November issue of Fast Company magazine. It included some data points:

A Laptop/Notebook is stolen or lost every 12 seconds.
    More than 12,000 laptops disappear each week from U.S. airports alone.
    Only 3% of laptops are ever returned.

According to the FBI's National Crime Information Center, the number of reported laptop thefts increased almost 48% over the last two years, from 73,700 to almost 109,000. The number of reported phone robberies jumped 33% over the same period, from 60,100 to nearly 80,300.

Safeware, an insurance company specializing in computers, estimates 5% of laptops will be stolen within 12 months of purchase.

Last edited by gilleshk; 18-05-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Well I have no problem understanding that laptops owned by schoolkids, purchased by parents will get destroyed pretty quickly. Kids have little ability to look after possessions and don't understand the value of money.

The OP sounds like an adult (even if still a 'student') and thus much more likely to value his new possession!

And besides, a 5% per annum theft rate? That's hardly 'common'.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:

And besides, a 5% per annum theft rate? That's hardly 'common'.
    You can see into it what you like... Perhaps you could point out something else that is more commonly stolen?

The point is that your chances of losing or having a laptop stolen grows significantly when you take it with you back and forth every day. I know several adults that have forgotten numerous things(off the top of my head, laptops, phones, tennis rackets, carry bags, purses and umbrellas) in taxis or the MTR for example. It's also going to be banged around a bit more which is also natural. Some will take more care of their possessions others less regardless of their age and I've never called them stupid or careless, simply human.

In any case, it's irrelevant, the OP can choose to do whatever he/she wants, it's his/her life and money. Personally, I think it makes more sense to use it as a cheap consumable and not invest too much in it. Better to do that on a desktop or have alternate strategies. It's an opinion and everyone will make their own mind as to what they want to do...

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Exactly my point, 90%+ of people could buy a 3 year old computer for a fraction of the cost and still use it quite comfortably for all they do and for several more years but they want the bright new shiny Ferrari...

Toys, toys toys
    The question on second hand laptops is that they tend to not last very well past their initial three years and you don't know how well the previous owner treated it. Having worked for a bank I saw lots of computers which travelled, got bumped about, had latte incidents, and survived three years only to be dumped. Macs do survive longer (reflected by higher second hand prices) and therefore redundancy is more of an issue.

My argument is that the OP can pay a small premium now (HK$400) for his HD (which appears to be his preference), to have a product he can enjoy for little longer (say 6-12 months). If he wants to upgrade himself later (versus buying a new laptop), he will in fact be buying a second hard drive (HK$800-900 plus labour for an internal one).

As to the accidental damage question - there is insurance.
    Last edited by fth; 18-05-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenderBends:
    id hold out a few more days....
    there will be a macbook /pro silent update in the coming weeks.
    Macbook Pro updates? We just had those a few weeks ago. There won't be an update until fall. Can you site Macbook Pro sources?

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    OK - what do you want to do with the computer? Generally Macs are good survivors and less glitchy than PC format laptops (but more expensive, and difficult to handle if you need two buttons on the mouse).

Generally I would advise someone getting a mac to get more storage and RAM than the standard configuration as getting it upgraded later is more expensive (especially for the HD). .
    Where are you getting this information, hate it when people give advice about things they don't actually know anything about. Macs have used two button mouses for several years

How do you see going to pick up a 500GB 7200 RPM 16 MB Cache in Sham Shui Po for $700 as being more expensive than Apple?
    Last edited by HKChigger; 18-05-2010 at 06:18 PM.

This thread is pretty full of useless details. The OP has stated they are getting a Macbook Pro 15'' and has asked for advise about which model to get. They only care about the hard drive speed and total costs. Can't everyone just offer their opinion?

I have already posted the option that I think is best:

Macbook Pro 15'' 2.4 Ghz Version for $12,988
    Sham Shui Po Hard Drive with 500GB, 7200rpm, 16MB Cache for around $700

Total cost: $13,688

Can't we all either agree or offer him a better idea instead of giving him a headache with all the irrelevant things?

Last edited by HKChigger; 18-05-2010 at 06:26 PM.

Don't forget about Apple's refurbished deals

Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (HongKong)

Example:

Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.53GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

15.4-inch LED-backlit glossy widescreen display
    4GB memory
    250GB hard drive
    8x SuperDrive (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    SD card slot
    Built-in 7-hour battery
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics
    Illuminated keyboard

HK$ 10,188

Save HK$ 3,000