Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MrMoo
  • 1 Post By justsomebody2

Problem after using recovery disc - ASUS laptop

Closed Thread

Problem after using recovery disc - ASUS laptop

The story...

I have a new laptop with Windows XP installed (Company preferred OS).

Because of various restrictions with the company image I decided to remove the HD, install a new HD and ran the Win 7 recovery disc so I could have an unrestricted laptop for use during vacations etc.

The plan would be to simply plug the original HD back in when needing to do any official work, however I now get the Win XP logo appearing, promptly followed by a nice blue screen (See attached).

I have connected the HD to my home PC and it appears to pass the error check.

I am wondering if the recovery disc has the ability to change something in the BIOS that would make XP inoperable, this doesn't sound likely but I'm clutching at straws here.

Anyone have any idea of the possible problem?

Thanks in advance for any help

Probably reset the CMOS and lost settings made before installing XP. The usual culprit for XP and the BIOS would be AHCI or SATA settings.

Stoob likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:
    Probably reset the CMOS and lost settings made before installing XP. The usual culprit for XP and the BIOS would be AHCI or SATA settings.
    Cheers Mr Moo...

... next step is getting hold of the BIOS pasword

Quote Originally Posted by MrMoo:

Confirm... seen this problem before on Dell laptops also, culprit was indeed the HD controller set to AHCI SATA, need to set it to legacy or just plain IDE.

That blue screen also appears on any workstations after installing XP then change the HD controller from SATA > AHCI > RAID or any combination.

If you need to install XP on a AHCI / RAID controller, most likely you will need to F9 (if I remember correctly) during install, then insert a floppy with the respected driver, this should not be the case for you as you are using a restore CD.

Is this a company laptop? lol

You may check Asus website under your Laptop model to see if they offer a CMOS clear password tool, as I know some Dell models are able to do this via a software, another method tho not guaranteed to work is remove the battery and reinsert it.
    Stoob likes this.

Thanks guys, the problem was, indeed, the SATA controller setting (Enhanced instead of Standard)

Only problem was I needed to get IT to fix as only they had the BIOS password

Have had the password removed now so can change HD/OS at will now