New Laptop

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New Laptop

Hi I am planning to buy a new laptop.I like lates mac bookpro and sony vaio S series,Z series.Also this two is quite expensive.Are there differences between the two brands? also any other good brands? Please advise me, Many thanks!

Are there differences between the two? Of course, totally different OS systems that you would be using. (Unless you want to be like a lot of mainland Chinese and buy a mac for the look and install windows and never use OSX)

I think you should consider first what OS you want. If you want to use OSX and like Macs design you should pick the Macbook Pro, if you don't care about design and you can live with Windows maybe take the Sony.

Build quality is pretty good on the Macbook Pro, not sure about Sony, but I assume they are good as well. As a personal opinion I think it is tragic they need to use the Windows OS, but otherwise I think they have quite a bit going for them.

Of course I suggest OSX because their OS is a lot more stable and have no viruses, but I am sure a lot of others would support Windows as well. What do you need is the most important question.

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    As a personal opinion I think it is tragic they need to use the Windows OS, but otherwise I think they have quite a bit going for them.
    Couldn't agree with you more. I WISH my vaio was an apple - it would be the perfect mac (I have a VPCX series, the really, really, thin lightweight vaio's). And a mac. Today I am using the Vaio because it's so light and convenient, but the mac is more versatile, powerful and MaxOSX just does not go wrong. Whereas the Vaio with Windows 7 crashes all the time and gives me heaps of trouble (see numerous other of my threads on various issues!).

Now in Hong Kong. Previously in Toronto, Canada

Hi there, I would recommend 'Gateway', just got one last week. Amazing display with 15"6 inches 16:9 ratio scene, love watching my tv series and movies on that. NV59C is great with intel core i3-330M processor, you can go up to i5 if you want. I got the blue color and it's sharp for guys... check it out at the pccw that's where I got it... good luck

I recommend a Macbook pro as the MAC OS X Snow leopard is absolutely amazing. The operating system is extremely efficient and doesn't have as much of redundancy as Windows operating systems have. This is a problem that you can recognize for windows operating systems if you really get in and explore the system. This makes me wonder if the reason why windows based computers are known to crash more is because of their redundancy with in the operating system.

I'm in the process of getting rid of my desktop PC for a Mac Mini as it runs more efficiently and will help me with my move to Hong Kong this August. =)

I swore I'd not post here, but some of the posts are just incredulous...

>> mac is more versatile, powerful and MaxOSX just does not go wrong.

Sorry, it is not versatile. Mac in terms of a hardware platform is single purpose and designed for one operating system and limited hardware in particular.

Mac hardware is not that powerful either and often you do not have the option of swapping essential components to upgrade your hardware if you desire.

>> Vaio with Windows 7 crashes all the time and gives me heaps of trouble

Is your hardware listed as being Windows 7 compatible? Does the manufacturer support Windows 7 on that hardware?

>> Mac Mini as it runs more efficiently and will help me with my move to Hong Kong this August

This is what forced me to post here. I hope it packs your bags, drives you through the airport and assists the TSA agent while he does an anal cavity probe.

My current systems (which go months without crashing include:

Dell Precision 690 workstation - dual quad core xeon with 16GB RAM running Win 7, Fedora AND Mac OS in a virtual machines. Have two more of these in standard configurations running XP and Windows 7 exclusively.

IBM Thinkpad (X31) running Windows XP on 1 GB RAM .. light as a feather sturdy as a rock...

Samsung NC10 netbook running Windows 7 / XP in Dual Boot .. 2GB RAM ... no problems at all. Can do days without rebooting (days, because I turn it off every now and then a put it away).

The Dell Dimensions we have at work can do months without a reboot ... all running XP with Dell drivers installed.

Don't get me wrong, I will be buying a Mac soon .. mostly for work related reasons, but in terms of getting things done and providing a stable operating system Wintel platforms work just fine for most people, as long a you maintain a certain discipline.

Talking about discipline .. installed a early firefox alpha on my MacOS platform and it crashes very regularly .. no wait, it does not crash, it quits unexpectedly.

For the OP .. buy what you're comfortable with. Get 2-4GB RAM a good harddrive and a good display and you'll be fine as long as you've bought a quality machine from the likes of Sony, Lenovo, Toshiba, Apple etc.

One question .. why does everyone insist on MacBook Pro? Whats wrong with the regular MacBooks? The regular macbooks are in my price range with a student discount but everyone I know chants the Pro mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:

>> Vaio with Windows 7 crashes all the time and gives me heaps of trouble

Is your hardware listed as being Windows 7 compatible? Does the manufacturer support Windows 7 on that hardware?
    No idea. It shipped with Windows 7 installed though - do manufacturers normally ship products with incompatible hardware?

Surprising... did you add anything else which had non-Win7 compatible drivers? (I've not been following the threads.. I do recall you had a problem with a WiFi or 3G card...)

With the number of laptops and the low margins that the top end manufacturers work with, they usually put out solid builds which are compatible with the OS. They start loosing money when customers call them.. their brands are threatened when customers complain on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Surprising... did you add anything else which had non-Win7 compatible drivers? (I've not been following the threads.. I do recall you had a problem with a WiFi or 3G card...)

With the number of laptops and the low margins that the top end manufacturers work with, they usually put out solid builds which are compatible with the OS. They start loosing money when customers call them.. their brands are threatened when customers complain on forums.
    Only the USB modem that i ended up ditching anyway. Not much else installed on it.

Million Thanks all of you.Somuch appreciated.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast