ADSL Modems, Routing, and Confusion

Closed Thread

ADSL Modems, Routing, and Confusion

I'm having problems getting a game to work online and I've narrowed it down to the fact that my IP address is being changed by the external adsl modem...

I'm pretty sure its not an ADSL router though, because it was provided 'free of charge' by Netvigator so its prob the cheapest model on the market (DB180)

I've never really got the whole DSL thing, but when i had broadband in the UK we had a simple wi-fi network set up going through a router that was then connected to the modem - that was easy because you only had to type in the old 192.168.0.1 and you got into the Routers command page. From there routing was a piece of cake.

Anyway, can someone explain the Netvigator ADSL set up to me? Is it just a modem or is it a router as well? or do they do something weird like give everyone a static IP?

P.s. Before anyone asks, NO i dont want to switch to some random ISP!

Your external IP will not get changed by your router/adsl modem. Your ISP will expire the leasing of your IP address and make you router change IP or could even disconnect it.

Even if you change to what ever random ISP you chose and don't get a fixed IP service your external IP will change. If you want a fix IP call your ISP, but it is likely that you are offered a corporate service.

There are some ISPs that do offer a services with a single fixed IP, however I am not going to mention them, as it seems that people believe I am out to sell someone service. I am not aware of the big 4 ISPs providing fixed IPs for individuals.

hahahah, you guys closed the other thread. Hillarious.

Anyway the poll shows that people want stability yet the comments go along the lines of, we are not willing to pay for the service. Providing a stable service requires excess capacity, excess equipment, support contracts etc, those cost money, money that can't be covered pay HK$168 or what ever you pay.

So how can two oposing economic needs work together? They can't. The end result is that something must give. Either you pay more and move to someone who provides a better service (at a higher cost) or you gamble away with the unpredictability of the big 4. The alternative which is more typical is that the ISP has to cheat you by surcharging you for something, such as email storage.

The good news for those guys that think that Internet access is too expensive. In the future, Internet access, Broadband, will be free totally free. You will be able to give your whole profile, to the ISP to sell, target marketing etc. The $'s extracted from exploiting your demographics and/or private data as it will generate more revenue than renting you an broadband line.