Like Tree6Likes

laptop purchase in HK or Canada?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

In Canada there is GST 5% (general sales tax) and PST % varies (provincial sales tax). No PST in Alberta vs 7% in BC, AB is the only province in Canada without PST. If you do buy it there, make sure to check the availability of the item at the different locations before dropping by. If you're staying in downtown Calgary, the SE location is the closest.

pin likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Superb! I don't know what PST is but i presume its some sort of sales tax for internet orders??

I'll actually be in Calgary for a few days and if this company does do online matching, then I would probably just go ahead and buy through them when I'm in Calgary.
    GST - Goods and Services Tax (Money goes to the federal government)
    PST - Provincial sales tax (Money to the provincial government)
    HST - Harmonized sales tax (Combination of the 2)

I know BC is switching to HST July 1st. (12% tax on everything)
    pin likes this.

Thanks for the info guys! I guess I'll be making my purchases in Alberta then.

BTW can I claim back GST? I know when I went to Canada last time (back around 2004) I was able to claim back for GST when I was at the airport. Is the same still true?

I think they killed that rebate in 2006
    Posted via Mobile Device

Superb! I don't know what PST is but i presume its some sort of sales tax for internet orders??

I'll actually be in Calgary for a few days and if this company does do online matching, then I would probably just go ahead and buy through them when I'm in Calgary.
    PST = Provincial sales tax.

there is also a new HST, "harmonized sales tax" that will apply in Ontario soon... not sure if it applies in other provinces though.

It is my opinion that Canadian taxes are bad enough, but when one fronts up to the Post Office to {say} buy a Fifty Cent stamp [marked as 50 Cents} and then find it'll co$t you even more than the face value - well, my view is that this is (effectively) a THIRD WORLD country that I don't want to live in - or even re-visit!

Add crazy income taxes, capital gains of 50% and property taxes,...
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia:
    It is my opinion that Canadian taxes are bad enough, but when one fronts up to the Post Office to {say} buy a Fifty Cent stamp [marked as 50 Cents} and then find it'll co$t you even more than the face value - well, my view is that this is (effectively) a THIRD WORLD country that I don't want to live in - or even re-visit!
    Well thank you for your views. However I'll be going there soon and I'll be buying a computer from there.

Basically your post has zero to do with my question as to buying a computer in Canada. Why you bothered to comment, I don't know.
    dumbdonkey likes this.

Well thank you for your views. However I'll be going there soon and I'll be buying a computer from there.

Basically your post has zero to do with my question as to buying a computer in Canada. Why you bothered to comment, I don't know.

Yeah, I know - but it rankles me [polite version] that such countries do NOT indicate the FULL co$t of any item before reaching the ca$hier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2