HKBN FiberHome1000 vs. BB100

HKBN FiberHome1000 vs. BB100

I've been a very happy HKBN customer since January this year with BB100 (with a very good performance), so I agreed to the FiberHome1000 upgrade as I'm downloading a lot from Apple's & Google's servers in HK... But I'm a bit disappointed by the value.

With BB100, I consistently got 11/12 MBytes/s while downloading from Apple's servers. With FH1000, it's still 11/12 with peaks at 14/15 MBytes/s tops.

Using SpeedTest (in HK), BB100 was 80-90 Mbps during the day, and now it's 90-95 Mbps.

I'm disappointed because it seems while paying twice the price, the speed bump is barely noticeable...

(I'm using an Airport Extreme with Gigabit enabled on all ports)

Ok, got my answer... My Airport Extreme is the bottleneck here. I plugged the ONT directly to my iMac and I get peaks of 80-90 Mbytes from Apple.. Not bad, but HKBN should explain that routers are the weak link!

HKBN by far is the worst ISP in HK for overseas. They recently upgraded me to 1000 for free because I took my case to the consumer council and stopped them from advertising in our apartment complex. I see no bandwith difference between 100 or 1000 for overseas while local is about the same.

Their CS is also horrible when you have a problem and they often claim that their service is not really for foreigners and mainly for Chinese ...and that only foreigners complain.

Last edited by JaredHK; 18-06-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JaredHK
    HKBN by far is the worst ISP in HK for overseas. They recently upgraded me to 1000 for free because I took my case to the consumer council and stopped them from advertising in our apartment complex. I see no bandwith difference between 100 or 1000 for overseas while local is about the same.
    I have to disagree... I get very good overseas speeds (2 to 2.3 Mbytes/s for NZB downloads, for instance).
    There won't be any difference between FH1000 and BB100 in terms of overseas throughput, they're both capped at 20 Mbps. But I don't care so much about overseas speed anyway (well, to some extent): what matters is the speed you get to local datacenters, and any major IT company has one in HK (Google, Vimeo, Apple, etc.).

Bumping old thread.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? Just wondering whether to get 100 or 1000 - I use it mainly for Skype and overseas streaming. Not sure if it's worth the extra HK100 per month.