Like Tree1Likes

want real life opinions on HTC HD2

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

want real life opinions on HTC HD2

Prefer looking for comments from someone that actually has one and not from some review site.

I am currently using a E71, main functions I use a lot are calls (duh), calculator, metric & weight conversion, Excel & Word, email, calendar, opera (web browsing), MP3 player...

The HD2 based off its reviews with its big screen, fast processor, loads of ram, windows mobile, seems good...

Few years ago a friend with a HTC, had a blotch on the screen out of no where, he just purchased it less then a month but when he brought it in for warranty, they told him that he was the one that broke the phone and that the warranty did not cover it, in turn forcing him to pay like $800 for the repairs.. I then decided that I don't want to have anything to do with HTC, anyways what I want to ask is....

How is their customer service now a days?

Last edited by justsomebody2; 20-06-2010 at 01:53 PM.

My friend has the the new HTC 4G Evo (its the US based version of the HD2). I messed with it for about an hour trying to decide which HTC phone to get.

But the phone is just way too big and heavy for myself. Its a huge phone. And I question the battery life specs listed. You should go check one out in the store with the battery to feel the weight of it.

I chose the HTC Desire instead and I've been really happy

I might be running on old information here, but I have never heard anyone say anything good about Windows Mobile. Also, given that Windows Mobile is going to be superceeded by Windows 7 mobile in about six months time, why buy into a software platform with such a short guaranteed lifespan?

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I might be running on old information here, but I have never heard anyone say anything good about Windows Mobile. Also, given that Windows Mobile is going to be superceeded by Windows 7 mobile in about six months time, why buy into a software platform with such a short guaranteed lifespan?
    That is simply not true. Windows Mobile is generally recognized to be a pretty powerful, but with some pretty significant issues. Specifically, people generally hate three things about Windows Mobile:
    1. Terrible user interface (especially for finger use) - HTC has addressed this to a large extent with the HTC Sense interface on the HD2 and other models
    2. Sluggish operations - Not really an issue on the new faster phones like the HD2 with the 1GHz Snapdragon platform
    3. Paltry number of applications compared to iPhone and Android - Very true and it is not clear that this will ever be rectified

The comment about Windows Mobile 7 is also pretty uninformed - while WM7 is certainly on the horizon (and at least promises a vastly improved user interface over the existing Windows Mobile) it is pretty much confirmed that it will be available and marketed in parallel to WM6.5 and that it will have some pretty serious issues that might make people actually prefer WM6.5 (no side loading of applications, no guaranteed backward compatibility of applications, etc.).

Have had no issue with HTC customer service, but frankly never really had to use them (other than installing a couple of updates from the web-site) as CSL generally just gives me a new phone if there is a problem.
    Last edited by beachball; 28-06-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Admittedly I have not been keeping up to date on mobile platforms, but still, I have never heard a techie who has had anything positive to say on Windows mobile. Your own comment is probably the best thing I have read on it, and that's loaded with caveats too.

7 and 6.5 are going to run in parallel and 7's already got predicted issues? You make the platform sound more and more appealing

Quote Originally Posted by justsomebody2:
    Prefer looking for comments from someone that actually has one and not from some review site.

I am currently using a E71, main functions I use a lot are calls (duh), calculator, metric & weight conversion, Excel & Word, email, calendar, opera (web browsing), MP3 player...

The HD2 based off its reviews with its big screen, fast processor, loads of ram, windows mobile, seems good...

Few years ago a friend with a HTC, had a blotch on the screen out of no where, he just purchased it less then a month but when he brought it in for warranty, they told him that he was the one that broke the phone and that the warranty did not cover it, in turn forcing him to pay like $800 for the repairs.. I then decided that I don't want to have anything to do with HTC, anyways what I want to ask is....

How is their customer service now a days?
    I have used the HD2 for about a year and here are some observations for you:
    • The hardware is pretty impressive (even a year after launch). Specifically the processor is fast and the display is amazing - I actually watch movies and TV show episodes on the HD2 (something I never did with an iPhone given the smaller screen and much lower resolution) and people love to look at pictures/photographs on it without having to squint.
    • User interface with HTC Sense is pretty good - integration of all activities related to contacts is particularly nice (i.e., for any given contact you can easily see recent call activity, SMS sent/received, e-mails sent/received, birthday, Facebook and Twitter activity, etc.).
    • Web browsing is great (combination of the large high resolution screen, Opera Mobile, and the snappy processor).
    • It runs Windows Mobile 6.5 which has its advantages (a few - e.g., for me it was the only way to fully hook into my company systems) and disadvantages (many, some of them mitigated, other like lack of applications not).
    • Size-wise it is obviously relatively large, but very flat. In my personal experience there has not been much of difference between the HD2 and the iPhone in everyday life (although the HD2 is slightly heavier).

One other thought: If you are coming from a device with a physical keyboard (like the E71), switching to an almost purely touchscreen interface can be quite an adjustment. Not such a big deal for dialing, SMSing, managing appointments, etc.. and actually far superior for web browsing, but for office applications (other than just reading/viewing documents) you will frequently have to call up the onscreen keyboard (blocking half the screen).

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    7 and 6.5 are going to run in parallel and 7's already got predicted issues? You make the platform sound more and more appealing
    Let me repeat, WM6.5 and WM7 are/will be different platforms. WM7 will be a lot closer to something like the iPhone OS - pretty to look at and easy to use, but with certain functionality limitations/a lot of control transferred from the user to the OS provider (e.g., no side loading of applications).

I've had one for a few months now and found that the music player is slow and can even cause the whole phone to lock up.
    Sometimes it slows down too and a restart is needed. I migrated from the iphone as that was getting slower after all the updates.
    There are good apps to manage the memory and change the apperance to your tastes, other than that, apps are limited and some of them on Windows Marketplace are a rip off.
    If you use multiple email accounts, it works a dream. Camera is great. The onboard facebook app is crap, just use opera. Twitter works fine too. Uploading pics to FB or Twitter is a dream.
    Its big but you get used to it (says the vicker to the nun).
    Apart from speed issued which are WM's fault, i love the phone.

I'm a tech and prefer WinMo over all other platforms. The new WinPhone 7 is actually a step back as it removes the multitasking capabilities. As well as adding another runtime layer (slowing response time down). However I know of no manufacturers currently willing to license on this new WinPhone 7 either.

How much is HTC HD2 in HK nowadays? I'm thinking of getting one before in the next couple of months.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast