Like Tree9Likes

SIM only prepay data plans in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SIM only prepay data plans in Hong Kong

I wrote this thread for another board, but thought it would be useful here as well. Obviously let me know if there are any inaccuracies. I have got most of the information from the various network websites.

As far as I know there are two options in HK for SIM only data plans, one of them is on the 3G network (this is only for broadband modems / mifi devices, I don't know it will work in a smartphone) and the other is on 2G EDGE.

Networks

Three (3HK)

China Mobile (Peoples)

Plan information on websites

3HK HSDPA Broadband Access Rechargeable SIM

Peoples Mobile Data Prepaid SIM Card

Frequency

3HK: 3G 2100 MHz

Peoples: 2G EDGE 1800 MHz

Where to get the SIM cards

You should be able to pick them up at the airport, but I am not sure of this.

You can definitely pick them up at 3HK or Peoples stores in HK.

In addition you may be able to pick up the SIM cards from various 7-11's or Circle Ks (but I have not verified this).

3HK also sell their SIM cards at the following locations: ParknShop (supermarket), Fortress (electronics retailer), Watsons (pharmacy), Taste (supermarket) and Citicall (electronics retailer).

There are no requirements in terms of proof of address, ID, etc. Just pay the cash and you will get the SIM card.

Initial costs & validity

3HK
    - HK$98 (this counts towards your call credit)
    - 180 days from last top up

Peoples
    - HK$139 (this counts towards your call credit)
    - 180 days from last top up

Charges

3HK
    - Data: HK$2 per MB, capped at HK$28 per day and HK$298 per month
    - Full list of charges: three.com.hk 3G 香港

Peoples
    - Data: HK$78 per every 30 days
    - Full list of charges: Charges_China Mobile Hong Kong

Refill methods (for travellers)

3HK
    - Voucher (can be purchased at 7-11's, Circle K, 3HK shops & various other retailers)
    - Internet via credit card (note, the recharge website is only compatible with Internet Explorer)
    - [There are other refill methods, but these normally are reserved for HK residents]
    - More information: three.com.hk 3G 香港

Peoples
    - Voucher (can be purchased at 7-11's, Circle K, Peoples shops & various other retailers)
    - Internet via credit card
    - [There are other refill methods, but these normally are reserved for HK residents]
    - More information: Refill Methods_China Mobile Hong Kong

APN

3HK
    - ipc.three.com.hk

Peoples
    - peoples.net

I think I have provided all the information required, however do let me know if anything is missing.

Re: 3HK:

Re: Initial costs & validity
    It is capped at 338 per month now, 298 for older cards no longer available. Their website has not been updated. (Typical for HK).

Re: Where to get the SIM cards
    The card can also be bought in Apliu Street at several stalls for HK$ 60. Even though the official selling price is HK$ 98, it is comes with 150 HK$ usage.

Re :APN
    I haven't tried ipc.three.com.hk, but for me works mobile.three.com.hk I had to set it manually.

pin and cs0815 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hktraveller:
    Re: 3HK:

Re: Initial costs & validity
    It is capped at 338 per month now, 298 for older cards no longer available. Their website has not been updated. (Typical for HK).

Re: Where to get the SIM cards
    The card can also be bought in Apliu Street at several stalls for HK$ 60. Even though the official selling price is HK$ 98, it is comes with 150 HK$ usage.

Re :APN
    I haven't tried ipc.three.com.hk, but for me works mobile.three.com.hk I had to set it manually.
    Thanks for that. Just been instore and they told me its HK$328!

Also they said it will work in any smartphone and its not limited to a USB dongle or mifi device.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    Thanks for that. Just been instore and they told me its HK$328!

Also they said it will work in any smartphone and its not limited to a USB dongle or mifi device.
    It is unbelievable how companies in HK spread misinformation. Firstly they don't update their website, and then in the shop they don't even know how to read their own rules. 338 is printed on the back of the card's package. Having been afraid to have mistakenly written 338, I just double checked and it clearly says 338. And yes, it works in any smartphone. I use it in the Nexus One.
    But there are small issues, like if you switch the phone on and are not within service area, the APN will not connect correctly and you have to reboot the phone.
    Last edited by hktraveller; 09-07-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Only thing I would add is that I did an online top up of my card and they told me it would take 48 hours to hit my account. Vouchers are instant they said.
    Posted via Mobile Device

i've got one for data only with 3. I use it in my nokia booklet netbook (has an internal 3g modem) but not tried in a smartphone. For unlimited usage its 200 per month. It's data only though so i think it would change your smart phone into a not-so-smart not-so-phone. Also it's a rolling contract i can cancel with 1 month's notice.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix:
    Only thing I would add is that I did an online top up of my card and they told me it would take 48 hours to hit my account. Vouchers are instant they said.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    If you use vouchers, you get bonuses up to 100 HK$ depending on how big a voucher you buy (I think I remember it was 100 for a voucher of 300. Don't know exactly since I use the cards only until they are empty and get a new one. No problem for data only).

Both 3HK and People have updated their offerings. Quick summary of changes:

3HK
    - 2 new SIM card offerings
    - Daily data roaming for when you are abroad (the price is a bit more expensive than what they offer if you are a postpaid customer, but still nice that that they offer it)
    - APNs are different depending on which SIM card offering you use
    - One of the SIM card offerings also comes with free wifi

Peoples
    - You can get 1 day, 7 day or 30 day passes

As a results, I've updated the list as follows (once again, do let me know if there are any inaccuracies):

Networks

Three (3HK)

China Mobile (Peoples)

Plan information on websites

3HK HSDPA Broadband Access Rechargeable SIM ("3HK HSDPA")

3HK International Roaming Rechargeable SIM ("3HK IRRS")

3HK Rechargeable SIM ("3HK Rechargeable")

Peoples Mobile Data Prepaid SIM Card

Frequency

3HK: 3G/HSDPA 2100 MHz

Peoples: 2G EDGE 1800 MHz

Where to get the SIM cards

You should be able to pick them up at the airport, but I am not sure of this.

You can definitely pick them up at 3HK or Peoples stores in HK.

In addition you may be able to pick up the SIM cards from various 7-11's or Circle Ks (but I have not verified this).

3HK also sell their SIM cards at the following locations: ParknShop (supermarket), Fortress (electronics retailer), Watsons (pharmacy), Taste (supermarket) and Citicall (electronics retailer).

For both companies if you go to the market stalls on Apliu Street, in Sham Shui Po some of them will sell the SIM cards at a discount (around HK$60).

There are no requirements in terms of proof of address, ID, etc. Just pay the cash and you will get the SIM card.

Initial costs & other information

3HK HSDPA
    - HK$98 (this counts towards your credit) [Apparently, while the card costs HK$98, it comes with HK$150 credit on it]
    - Validity = 180 days from last top up
    - Can use the daily data roaming rate
    - APN = ipc.three.com.hk

3HK IRRS
    - HK$98 (HK$55 stored value with an additional HK$52 of calling credit)
    - APN = mobile.three.com.hk

3HK Rechargeable
    - HK$198 (this counts towards your credit)
    - This is marketed as an Ipad SIM, so it comes with a Micro SIM card. To use with other phones that use the Mini SIM card you need to pick up a Mini SIM card adaptor. These are readily available in Hong Kong and should cost no more than HK$20
    - Can use the daily data roaming rate
    - APN = imobile.three.com.hk

Peoples
    - HK$139 (this counts towards your call credit)
    - Validity = 180 days from last top up
    - APN = peoples.net

Charges

3HK HSDPA
    - Data: HK$2 per MB, capped at HK$28 per day and HK$298 per month
    - User guide

3HK IRRS
    - Data: HK$2 per MB, capped at HK$28 per day and HK$338 per month
    - User guide

3HK Rechargeable
    - Data: HK$18 a month, which includes 50MB of data, then HK$2 per MB, capped at HK$28 per day and HK$168 per month
    - Wifi: Free Wifi provided by Y5Zone. You do have to register for this service
    - Full charges: three.com.hk 3G 香港
    - User guide

Peoples
    - Data: HK$0.04 per KB, unlimited = HK$9 1 day package, HK$38 7 day package, HK$78 30 day package
    - Full list of charges: Charges_China Mobile Hong Kong

Refill methods (for travellers)

3HK
    - Voucher (can be purchased at 7-11's, Circle K, 3HK shops & various other retailers)
    - Internet via credit card (note, the recharge website is only compatible with Internet Explorer)
    - More information: three.com.hk 3G 香港

Peoples
    - Voucher (can be purchased at 7-11's, Circle K, Peoples shops & various other retailers)
    - Internet via credit card
    - More information: Refill Methods_China Mobile Hong Kong

Last edited by pin; 14-09-2010 at 03:18 PM.
    wayland likes this.

CSL also now have one, but its not as competitive as what is offered by 3HK:

one2free

1-Day Pass: $50
    5-Day Pass : $178
    30-Day Pass $788

Validity is 60 days.

It's still the same with 3HK.
    Seems that the 3G Rechargeable SIM Card is the best deal, being capped at $168, no?

Local Voice Call $0.1
    HK SMS $0.7
    HK2World SMS $1.8
    Wireless Data $2/MB
    Capped at $168
    Additionally $18/month
    => $186/month for 3G.

Is there any difference or something we're missing here?
    HSDPA SIM is capped at $298 and costs $0.3/min locally and $3/international sms.

Is there a speed difference that is noticeable in the city?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast