Problem with wifi over Windows Mobile

Closed Thread

Problem with wifi over Windows Mobile

Hi All,

I am having a problem trying to get my PDA Phone (HP 6828) connecting to the internet over wifi with my wireless router at home.

My other desktop machine is accessing the wifi fine using the same router. Also if I plug my sync cable between the PDA and the desktop I can browse the internet fine.

However if I try to use the wifi connection to do the same I can get the PDA to connect to my wireless network (using WPA security password) but any page I try to access over the internet results in 'page cannot be located'.

Please can someone help.

Thanks in advance,
    Rick

You need to confirm that you are indeed connected to the router. When (you think) you are connected try and ping the pda from your pc. Alternatively, try and connect to the router from the pda by entering the router's address.

Hi,

Once the PDA says connected (after typing in the WPA key) I can then connect to the routers admin page. It is only when I try and access external pages (ie, the internet) that I get the 'page cannot be located' error.

I wonder if it is to do with internet sharing or the way my ISP (netvigator) is set up ? Any ideas ?

Thanks
    Rick

Do you have a notebook or other device that connects through the same router or is the pda your first attempt?

Actually I have managed to get my desktop connecting to the internet using the wireless router and a USB wireless adapter plugged into the desktop.

The internet connection is configured on the desktop and so I'm not sure if I need to do something so that other devices connected to the same network can use the same internet connection ?

Rgds
    Rick

How many computers do you have connected to the internet? Is it two, one connected tot he wireless router by lan cable and a second connected wirelessly - is this correct? Are both able to get to the internet?

My set up

My set up is as follows:

1 desktop computer with USB wifi adapter plugged in
    1 wireless router connected to broadband phone line
    1 netvigator cable box connected to wireless router with LAN cable
    NEW: 1 HP 6828 PDA Phone
    NEW: 1 Laptop

The current situation is:

Desktop is able to connect to internet fine using wifi and the connection details for Netvigator
    Netvigator is able to work fine for cable TV
    HP PDA Phone is able to connect to internet if attached by sync cable to PC but not over wifi
    Laptop is not able to connect to Netvigator if Desktop already connected. (I think I need to share the internet connection somehow)

I am enclosing a diagram for further detail:

Thanks
    Rick

ey rick, have you tried connecting your 6828 on your wifi network w/o any security features turned on? as in, an open access point?

try that first and see if you're able to connect, so as we can figure out what's wrong.

i believe i had a similar problem with the previous generation HP pda/phones

I think you need to set up your wireless router to perform the logon to netvigator. That way all your other devices can connect to it and use the internet connection. Your router's manual should describe how to do this.

ok, I'll try...

Ok, I'll try these two suggestions (try and get router to connect to netvigator and disable security) and let you know how it goes !

Thanks again,
    Rick