Problem receiving calls when using GPRS

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

I wonder if I can try out the gprs at a Sunday outlet.

You can try my SIM card if you want disco! PM me.

I had to "visit" Peoples last night and the guy sprung to attention and remembered our meeting two days earlier when he promised to get back to me within 2 days. Well he explained that it is NOT possible for a data call to be interrupted by an incoming phone call. Thanks to Peoples. Now I just need to let O2 know that Peoples think they are smarter.

I'm meeting jaykay later today to test out his Sunday sim in my Atom.

Last edited by discobay; 10-08-2006 at 11:25 AM.

Discobay : I might have a contact at O2 .. let me see if I can dig it up. Someone we know joined their PR team a year or so ago and I have to check if they're still there.

I'd appreciate it.

Looks like I was wrong. I can't receive calls while there is data transfer occuring over my GPRS connection. If you're connected but idle, you can receive a call. You're right, disco, that is quite the downside. I almost never pick my phone up, though, so it's not all that significant for me. I call people back as and when I see fit :P Sorry about the confusion mate!

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 10-08-2006 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks Jay. This is enlightening for me and I love the look on the faces of the know-it-alls at Peoples (not GeoExpat whose know-it-alls are the best!). If it can't be then so be it but I still want to hear back from O2 whom I emailed last week.

If I understood well the problem is related to the class of GPRS. Atom OS is class B, so can only do one thing, GPRS or GSM.
    Personally I'd try to see if you can choose not to use full channels for your GPRS session and see if the call can come through. Not sure of the results anyway.

When you say Atom OS then you mean Windows Mobile 5. I don't know what you mean by Class B but the assumption is that all pdas running WM5 are affected. What is your source?

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    When you say Atom OS then you mean Windows Mobile 5. I don't know what you mean by Class B but the assumption is that all pdas running WM5 are affected. What is your source?
    GPRS class
    I found this on the net. It's another forum.