Like Tree1Likes

Why are mobile phone companies so inflexible?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mercedes288
    Maybe it's supposed to be funny but I just don't get PDLM's humor.

I thought it was pretty funny and he probably hit the nail on the head.

One of my HK Chinese friends said that she once called the cable operator and accidentally selected the English menu when she called customer service. She asked if the customer service rep spoke Cantonese and she said yes. My friend thought she could proceed with Cantonese but the rep refused simply because my friend pressed "2" for English by mistake.
    They most likely have quality listening who specify what language they can speak. I work for a cell phone company and if I speak any language except English I can get in pretty big trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by applefan
    I just moved from the U.S. and we used to upgrade plans/phones ALL THE TIME. It is true that as a CONSUMER, your contract is tied to a phone and you will have to sign a new contract, ie. if you have 6 months left on your old one, you will have to sign another 18-month or 24-month contract, thus locking you in with the carrier for a longer time. BUT, there is no penalty if you are upgrading. You don't have to pay to end your old contract before you can sign a new one. You can buy a new phone at any time. You might not be eligible for the gigantic phone subsidies but you can buy a new phone and sign a new contract/extend your contract and not have to pay up for the remaining period of the other one.

As a ENTERPRISE customer in the U.S., it is even more flexible. There's no individual contract per se because the company signed an overall contract with the carrier. Can you imagine if an employee leaves within 2 years and the company has to keep paying "penalties" every time?

applefan: Yes, you're right. In the US, the only way to get out of signing a new contract is to buy a phone at full price, which would cost you a minimum of US$130 (the same phone would have been free if you sign a new contract with them). Almost the same amount what you would have paid for a penalty for breaking your contract. In the US, even upgrading the phone plan (let alone the phone) will hit you with a new contract...I'm sure you can find ways to get around it, but this is the general practice of major US cell phone companies. The only way to break your old contract is when you're 10th or 11th month into your current phone plan, then again, there really is no point if your contract is only for 12 months.

Never have an enterprise account but I did have a goverment account with Sprint before. Not sure if both are the same thing. Government account is even more inflexible in certain ways. Often time, having a corporate/government account just means that it is easier for the company to administer the phone usage and that their employees don't have to pay a desposit. The contract length could be a bit more flexible, but it doesn't mean that they don't have to sign any contract. And yes, they will still charge the company if their employees break their contracts.

These are corporates, their main objective is to make money, they're not supposed to be all considerate and caring. In the capitalist economy, there's no free meal...

Wow...I have been so busy (partly looking for a new phone for myself since I need to have it by Monday) that I haven't checked this all day and had no idea this thread has turned into something else!

Here are the updates: turns out it has NOTHING to do with Smartone! Turns out someone in purchasing is afraid that if I ask for an upgrade, everyone will ask for an upgrade so they just read back the contract and say it's not doable unless I pay a hefty penalty (with 22.5 months left) AND start another 24 months contract. I'm so ticked off at this that I can't even really go into this right now. I ended up getting myself a spiffy new phone from "3" for my own personal phone. They will just have to deal with me not having a Blackberry when I'm traveling next week. And they will get a bill of all the charges on my personal phone.

Thanks for indulging me and letting me vent!

>> Turns out someone in purchasing is afraid

Glad you got it sorted out.

that's cool

honestly, you might even enjoy going a week without a Blackberry Im actually happy my level is not given one of those things

Quote Originally Posted by coolgirl
    honestly, you might even enjoy going a week without a Blackberry
    I would completely enjoy a week without Blackberry except I will still be on the hook for anything that happens and questions asked as to why I don't respond in time, etc...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3