sim card or monthly plan?

Closed Thread

sim card or monthly plan?

Hi All,

I'm looking for advice on how to fulfill my mobile phone needs. I would like something that would cover my short term needs (i.e. 1 year) as I do not know if I will be in Hong Kong after that period of time. Am I better off getting a sim card where you pay as you go? Or should I get an inexpensive monthly phone plan ($60-80 with Vodafone, for instance)? And if I were to subscribe to a monthly plan, would I have to get a new phone? Generally, what is the shortest contract available?

About me: I do not rack up many minutes a month (no more than 150-200), and I generally send about 40-50 SMS per month. I don't really need any other services except for voicemail, call waiting, and caller number display.

Thanks.

If you provide your own phone then you can get a 12 month sim only contract, Cheaper and more flexible than if you get a phone included which is usually 24 months.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Or you can just get a sim card with no contract. Voda one is $128/month no commitment.
    Posted via Mobile Device

i went for pay-as-you-go sim for the first 2 months in hk but it was costing me more than my sister's monthly plan so i got a monthly plan with peoples (changed to china mobile) and it was soooooooooooo much cheaper!

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like getting a sim card and providing my own phone might be the way to go. Any recommendations on where to buy unlocked, quadband cell phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Banana Pancakes:
    Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like getting a sim card and providing my own phone might be the way to go. Any recommendations on where to buy unlocked, quadband cell phones?
    Go to "Sin TaT", mobile shopping paradise in MK.. lol

or try some 2nd hand mobile stores... be careful tho.

i got a 6 month contract at $35 per month for 2g with 3 yesterday. it has 550 minutes with free intra network sms. to get this you need to sign up at vans parked on the street in busy areas like mong kok or sham shui po. if you go into a 3 shop you'll pay $58 per month.

Sin Tat are phone that are made in china not real...

Quote Originally Posted by marriottboy:
    Sin Tat are phone that are made in china not real...
    so the amount of people that go there and buy phones, they must all be really dumb then to keep on buying fake made in China phones. Come on dude, Sin Tat has everything depending on how much dosh you have in your pockets.

Thanks for the ideas. I just went ahead and bought a sim card from one2free. It seems like it will meet my basic needs over the next year or so at a reasonable price as well.